You are here > Home > News > News
13 December 2013

Sports Roundup 13th December 2013

Junior League Final: Newbridge 16 St Gerard’s 21
Newbridge Juniors unfortunately fell at the final hurdle in the League. 

The team were all set and with the squad almost at full strength, the feeling was good for the fixture at Templeville Rd.  The opposition, St. Gerards, won the last encounter between the sides so nothing was taken for granted.  Newbridge started very well and within 5 minutes Johnny Deane crossed the line for the opening points of the match.  The side kept the pressure on Gerards and forced a penalty that Tom Connolly slotted over.  Just before half time Gerards scored a try which probably gave them the lift they needed.  They started the second half well and equalised through a penalty.  Both sides then traded penalties to leave the score at 11 all. With 8 minutes left in the game, St. Gerards went 5 points ahead but with only two minutes of normal play left they hammered home their dominance on the score board with another try. Newbridge usually finish well and didn't disappoint on the final day either.  They kicked a penalty to the corner and from the resulting maul, Paddy Ryan (captain) put just five between the sides.  Final score 16 to 21 to St. Gerards. Players for Newbridge that did well on the day were Paddy O' Brien, Johnny Deane and Tom Connolly kicked well.

Senior Cup first round: Senior 1st  vs Our Lady’s Terenure
On Wednesday the Senior team went up to Our Lady’s Terenure to play the the first round of the cup in front of a big crowd of Our Lady’s supporters.  Newbridge started off well but were troubled by the fast breaks made by Our Lady’s.  Thanks to some excellent defensive play by the Newbridge backs nothing came from these fast breaks.  Newbridge displayed some beautiful hockey in the middle of the pitch but unfortunately weren’t able to capitalise on this.  In the first half, Newbridge successfully defended three short corners and under the supervision of Aoife Fennel in goals.  Newbridge won a short corner but it skimmed the left post and went wide.  In the second half both teams stepped up the pace with increasing pressure on both goals.  This pressure was stopped by good defensive play from Sarah Henry and Coaimhe Murphy and applied down the other end by Louise Scully and Sorcha Lavele-Walsh.  Seven minutes from the end heartbreak struck Newbridge with a expertly executed goal from Our Lady’s.  Newbridge were sadly unable to recovery from this goal.  The match finished one nil to Our Lady’s with Sarah Henry named Newbridge’s player of the match.  Newbridge will now continue on into the plate competition.

Minor A v Teresians
The minor A hockey team played their last match before the Christmas Holidays against Teresians School in Donnybrook on Wed 11th Dec.  It was also the last league game in their section.  With one draw against Mount Anville and having won the rest of their games this match was eagerly anticipated.  We knew from the start of the match that this would be another tough contest.  An early goal from Jenny Kelly settled the college girls but in the relaxation that followed Teresians replied within five minutes and then the game was on.
It was end to end play for the next forty minutes.  Each time the College scored Terssians replied.  Jenny Kelly was in good form with two goals to her credit.  Newbridge were very glad of a goal by Rachel Mc Mullen and the girls hung on to a narrow lead to the final whistle.  Newbridge won 3 goals to 2 to be joint winners with Mount Anville in their section.
The minor A s play Holy Child Killiney in the second round of the cup having got a welcome bye from the first round.  It is not known yet who they play in the quarter finals of the league but the team are eager to train immediately after Christmas in order to hit the ground running on return to school.

Newbridge College Newbridge, Co. Kildare, Republic of Ireland Tel: +353 45 487200 Fax: +353 45 487234 Email: info@newbridge-college.ie