You are here > Home > News > News
15 November 2013

Sports Roundup 15th November

Senior League SCT 12 Roscrea 0
The Senior 1st‘s hosted Roscrea in their final league group game last Wednesday.

Played in difficult conditions, we played with the elements in the first half and got a crucial score from.  Joe D’Arcy converted to give us a 7:0 halftime lead.  In the second half, Roscrea piled on the pressure and spent large amounts of time camped in the Newbridge 22.  Our defence stood strong and was extremely well disciplined through this difficult passage of play, which saw us only concede one kickable penalty, which Roscrea could not convert.  Just before full time, we managed to break up field with Mark Delaney running clear. And just as it looked as Roscrea would clear their lines, Niall Delahunt pounced on a loose ball to score and seal a hard fought win. Our other try scorer was Joe D’Arcy who also converted one of the two extras to see Newbridge win 12 nil. This result sees Newbridge top their group and now we face Kilkenny College in the League quarter final next Wednesday at home.

Junior League JCT 24 Roscrea 12
In the last of the group matches, Newbridge were facing a Roscrea side that had suffered mixed fortunes. Newbridge knew going into the game that a win would secure top spot, while Roscrea needed the win to make it into the quarter final stages. From the first whistle til the last, there was only going to be one winner though. Newbridge, the homeside, dominated every facet of play be it at set piece, back play or defence. Paddy Ryan, Thomas Grant and Ben Howlett carried well around the fringes and the rucks were efficient and disciplined. Niall Stapleton got the first score of the day. He threw the ball into the lineout, and the resulting maul led to the try. The second try came from a good box kick from Darragh Ryan. Tom Connollys chase was rewarded by a try. The third try was completely against the run of play. Roscrea had possession and were planning to put the ball wide. Cian Murphy had other ideas when he intercepted the ball for a try under the posts. Tom added the extras. The last try for Newbridge came just at half time. Daithi Murphy made one of his meandering runs through the defence to give Tom another easy conversion. Kevin Kyne had a superb game at centre and while he didn’t bag a try of his own, was influential in attack and defence. With a bonus point already in the bag at half time, the second half was about maintaining the pressure. Roscrea showed in the second half that they didn’t travel just to make up numbers. The scored a good try and were gifted another by the homeside. The final score was 24 – 12. It is tough to name players that did well on a day when everyone did their jobs so well. It was such a team effort and will need to be repeated next Wednesday for the quarter final of the league. Progressing to the semi final will guarantee qualification to the Cup competition.

Junior B 31 Roscrea 0
Newbridge College Junior B squad travelled away to Roscrea on Wednesday last. Conditions were far from ideal but both teams adapted quite well. The first 20 minutes of the game was played in the middle third of the pitch with both teams competing well for the ball in the contact area. On 15 minutes Paschal Thompson took on the ball up the left touchline and crossed the line under the posts. Liam Callanan slotted over the conversion. Newbridge now had momentum and two more tries in quick succession from Stephen Murphy before the break had Newbridge in a commanding lead, with the score at the break Newbridge College 21 – Roscrea 0. Newbridge began the second half as they finished the first. Good work in the contact area saw Matthew Nugent rip the ball and cross the line. 3 minutes later Newbvridge wrapped up the scoring for the day when Andrew Dempsey crossed under the posts after some good forward play. Roscrea never let up and they were extremely unlucky not to have tries of their own. Final score Newbridge College 31- Roscrea 0. Best on the day were Simon Hore, Andrew Dempsey, Stephen Murphy and Theodore Hovenden Kelly.

Eller C Black 30 Castleknock 20
The Eller C "blacks" lost out in an evenly contested duel with Castleknock . From the outset it was clear that there was not going to be much between these two teams. Both sides showed signs of attacking promise in the first half and Castleknock opened the scoring after 5 minutes. Newbridge responded soon after with a try from Fionn Murphy. Both sides traded tries for the rest of the half and at half time the scoreline was 20 points each. Newbridge started the second the brighter and if it wasn't for some last ditch defending would of crossed the line numerous times. However, Castleknock used their strong bench to their advantage and pulled away with 2 late tries to run out winners. Final score 30-20.

Finally congratulations to Muireann Scully on making the Leinster U-18 girls rugby squad. 28 girls were picked following a number of trials. The team will play an Interpro Blitz this Saturday against Munster and Connacht and will play Ulster on a later date.

Other Results: Senior 2nd 12 Roscrea 13; TY 1st 5 Blackrock 34; TY 2nd 24 Blackrock 70; Eller A 10 Castleknock 24; Eller B 19 Castleknock 12; Eller Black 20 Castleknock 30; Eller White 35 Castleknock 30.

Senior A 0 Jesus and Marys 0
Newbridge senior first team played Jesus and Mary college on the 13th November. Though we came out with a draw, the team played excellently and worked perfectly together. Each member of the team had great support from other players, which gave them great confidence; as a result the team played extremely well. It was a tough, fast-paced game. No goals were scored throughout the game but plenty of Newbridge defending short corners were taken and our defence worked well in preventing goals scored against us. With Newbridge having most of the possession we were disappointed with leaving the pitch with only one point but we were delighted with how we played.

Minor A  Rathdown School
The minor A team played their first away match today 13th November versus Rathdown School in Glenageary. Although Newbridge started the game with much attacking play they found it difficult to find the space between the posts. The home team packed the circle so the sheer numbers of players in front of the goal made it impossible to get on the score sheet. However after fifteen minutes Kate Hannon put the ball in the back of the net. Kate repeated this score twice more to get a total of three and Rachel Mc Mullen added one more. It became a difficult game to play because as the match progressed it became more difficult to work through the sea of sticks especially in the middle of the pitch. The visitors held on well and supported each other, so any random attack by Rathdown was quickly picked up by the Newbridge defence. Well done minor As.

First Year B 2 High School 5
First year Bs were beaten on Wednesday by a strong High School team. The first half was very even, High School scored first but the College team came back well and Orla Thompson got a great goal. Megan Ferguson got some good clearances away, Mary Hamilton did some excellent defending too. In the second half, High School came out very strong, pushing up from defence and scored 4 without reply until Ella Dwyer got a goal after some super work up the right. This team will have learned a lot from this outing.

Other Results: 1st years A Lost 3-1; Minor Cs Lost 3-0; Senior 1sts 0-0

Newbridge College Newbridge, Co. Kildare, Republic of Ireland Tel: +353 45 487200 Fax: +353 45 487234 Email: info@newbridge-college.ie