You are here > Home > News > News
24 January 2014

Sports Roundup 24th January 2014

This year’s Leinster Schools’ Cup competitions kick into action soon as our Senior team take on Roscrea in Co Carlow next Wednesday 29th at 2:30pm.

This is a re-match of this year’s League final so is sure to be a cracking encounter. The following Wednesday (Feb 5th) our Junior team face Castleknock in Templeville Rd at 3:00 in what should also be a great game.  We welcome all parents, students and past pupils to make a special effort to come along and support our teams in our quest for glory this year.

Senior 2nd’s 12 Clongowes 22
The Senior 2nd's played their second league match at home to Clongowes on Wednesday and were eager to make up for a below par performance last week.  We started this game with real vigour and deservedly took the lead when Davy Culliton drove over from close in after a prolonged period of pressure.  Captain Jack Lawlor and Morgan Mooney were making great gains with ball in hand while Tom Dore looked very dangerous out wide.  However, our score seemed to ignite the Clongowes fire and they owed the rest of the half.  We were guilty of defending as individuals on a couple of occasions and Clongwes took full advantage to lead 19:5 at the break.  In the second half, our defence was vastly improved with Robbie Culliton putting in hit after hit ably supported by Rob Buckley and Stephen Rigney.  This hard work was rewarded when Matt Stapleton pounced on a loose pass to intercept and run clear to cut the deficit to 7 points, game on.  We continued to defend very well, unrecognisable from our efforts in the first half and we went on the hunt for the score that could possibly draw us level.  Substitutes Ciaran Callan and Aubrey O’Mahony were excellent in attacking from deep off well worked backline moves while Oisin Larkin and Culliton got through an enormous amount of work up front.  Twice we got ourselves into prime scoring positions close to the Clongowes line but unfortunately on both occasions we wasted good opportunities which would ultimately prove costly.  Clongowes tagged on a penalty to leave the final score 22:12.

Newpark 17 Senior 3rd’s 7
The Senior 3rds were up always going to be tested this week as they travelled to Dublin to take on Newpark Comprehensive 1sts in the League. The home side were the physically bigger side and they put this to use early but could 't convert possession to points. Some well organised defence from the College kept the game scoreless. Slowly the College gained territory and started to put phases together. They made the most of some good work in the tight and Tim Murphy and Niall Wyer combined to put Gavin Burke into a gap and he raced home to open the scoring on 23 minutes. Burke himself added the extras. Despite some very positive work from both side, two good defensive exhibitions ensured a halftime score of 7-0 to the College.  The second half saw Newpark start strongly again. They set up camp in the College 22 for the first 10 minutes of the second half. The younger, smaller College side defended well but the pressure finally told on 45 minutes as Newpark crossed in the corner for an unconverted try. The College fought back but were beginning to creek. The home side's physical advantage showed as they punched up the centre and crossed on 63 minutes for 7 points. As the clock ticked on the College pushed hard to regain the lead but with their final attempt they coughed up the ball and Newpark raced to score in the left corner. The missed conversion was followed by the final whistle and the College had been defeated 17-7.

Kilkenny College 14 Kilkenny 52

Newbridge College senior fourths contested their first match of the league on Wednesday 22 January. Newbridge started the game with great effort and played the first ten minutes of the game in the Kilkenny 22. However they could not find a chink in the opposition defence until the final ten minutes of the game when they managed to cross the try line on two occasions.  Kilkenny  were the more organised team on the day and they found gaps in the Newbridge defence to score six tries.  Paddy Kavangh at out half was ably assisted in the centres by Matt McCarthy and Niall Furey and they asked questions of the  Kilkenny defence.  Up front the Newbridge lineout was effective with Cillian O’Brien throwing efficiently. The game was played in a great spirit with both teams giving their best.

Junior A 0 Glenstal Abbey 12
The Juniors played their last friendly match on Wednesday at home to Glenstal. With every game there are positives to be reflected on and this week was no different. The return of Ewan Morrin and Paddy Ryan to the pack as well as Luke Morris having a solid game at out half were highlights. The home side were definitely up for the physical challenge which should serve the team well for the Cup game in two weeks time. The downside of the day was that a try was conceded in each half against the run of play and Newbridge lost by 12 points to nil. It's unusual to come away from a match with no points so the coaching team won't be worried in that regard. Players that did well for the home side; Dylan Morrisey, Thomas Grant, Niall Stapleton, Luke Morris and Tom Connolly.

Castleknock 19 - 22 Eller A
The Eller As travelled to Castleknock, looking to avenge a defeat to the same opposition in late November. We started the game extremely well, racing into a 5 nil lead after just two minutes when Harry Quirke powered down the blindside to score in the corner.  The advantage was doubled soon after when Ryan Leahy found a gap in the home defence and raced to the tryline. The Newbridge side switched off and sloppy play allowed the home side to come more and more into the game. Two quickfire Castleknock tries before the break put them into a half time lead and left the Newbridge side wondering where their lead had disappeared to. We reasserted our dominance in the opening stages of the second half and dominated both possession and territory. Initially the Castleknock defence repelled a series of good drives before Jack Doyle finally sniped from a ruck to score from close range. Ro Burns made it a two score game soon after when he broke off the back of a maul, raced down the blindside and scored in the corner. We continued to dominate but couldn't find any further tries to stretch their advantage. A late breakaway try from a contentious penalty took a bit of the gloss off the scoreline but overall the Newbridge side can be very happy with their performance.  Final score Castleknock 19 - 22 Newbridge

Castleknock 24 - 10 Eller C Black

The Eller Blacks had very competitive game against their Castleknock counterparts on Wednesday. Newbridge started the stronger of the two teams and were rewarded for some great work around the ruck with a try for Ryan Johnston. After some strong exchanges between both teams Castleknock scored 2 quick breakaway tries followed by by a try wide in the corner to lead 19-5 at the break. Newbridge regained their composure in the second half and both temas played out an evenly contested half with Mark Hayden scoring a wonderfulling worked try following some great work from James Hughes, Michael O’Connor and Aaron MacNelils. The game ended Newbridge 10 Castleknock 24

Other Results: Junior B 10 St Columba’s 19; Inter A 0 Blackrock 47; Inter B 12 Blackrock 64; Inter C 13 Blackrock 7; Eller B 7 Castleknock 28; Eller White 36 Castleknock 41.

Minor A 2 Wesley 3
Newbridge played a non league game with Wesley College in Dublin yesterday Wed 22nd Jan in preparation for their Cup match next Wed and qualifying rounds of the league.  It was a fast and competitive game and Newbridge dominated the first half with Jenny Kelly scoring first. As the match progressed Wesley scored, and the pace of the game increased, neither side happy with a draw.  At the final whistle the score was 3 to 2 to Wesley. While the Newbridge girls were disappointed to lose the game it was a very good practise and gave the College plenty of food for thought.  The opposition were fast ,skilled ,and had a very good knowledge of their positions.  The minor A team having had a long session on Sunday, were pleased with the work they did and as a result were comfortable in the match in their positions.  Aimee Mc Grath was on top of her game and had great runs on the right side.  The minor A team are very committed in training and once they hit the pitch in a match friendly or otherwise they give it their all. They are looking forward to their match next Wednesday with Mount Anville.

Other Results: Senior 2nd’s 0 Muckross 4; Minor A 2 Wesley 3; Minor B 0 Muckross 4; First Yr C1 6 Wesley 2; First Yr C2 6 Wesley 0.

Results for the Showjumping teams for the competition held in Killossery Stud Sunday 19th January.
Novice Team: 1st Place: Clodagh Finlay, Hannah Rasmussen, Ciara Harris & Ruby Maher
Novice Individual: 1st Hannah Rasmussen 2nd Clodagh Finlay.
Open Team: 3rd Place: Caoimhe Sweeney, Luke Heffernan, Sarah Behan, & Karen Casey.
Open Individual: 2nd Place: Sarah Behan 

Newbridge College Newbridge, Co. Kildare, Republic of Ireland Tel: +353 45 487200 Fax: +353 45 487234 Email: info@newbridge-college.ie