You are here > Home > News > News
28 February 2014

Sports Roundup 28th February 2014

We start this week by commiserating with our Junior Cup Squad and their coaches on their heart breaking exit from this year’s Leinster Schools Junior Cup.

Played in front of a large crowd in Donnybrook, Newbridge were the better team for the majority of the game against Terenure College.  We were guilty of not converting this superiority into points and this proved to be extremely costly when Terenure crossed for a try deep into injury time to snatch an unlikely win.  Hard luck to all involved, you did yourselves, your families and your school proud.

Senior 2nds 19 Kilkenny 10
The Senior 2nds hosted Kilkenny College in their final league match of the season on Wednesday.  We were out of traps very quickly when Tom Dore finished off a great move, which started in our own half.  Chris Healy added the extras for a 7:0 lead.  Kilkenny fought their way back into the game and probably shaded the rest of the first half, scoring a try to close the gap to 2 points.  Rob Buckley and captain for the day Will Jennings were outstanding in defence and showed the way forward for the rest to keep Kilkenny at bay.

We regrouped at the break and looked a different team in the second half. Morgan Mooney and Sean Treacy were beginning to find some holes around the fringes and took the game to Kilkenny.  As a result, outhalf Matthew Stapleton was then able to get some quality ball and take control of the game. Following a good balanced attack, Morgan Mooney crashed over to extend our lead back to 7 points.  Kilkenny once again hit back with a try of their own to set up a tense finish. Once again we forced our opponents deep into our own half and following a block down, Paddy Corbett dived on the loose ball to seal the win. Matt Stapleton added the extras. To their credit, Kilkenny fought to the final whistle but we managed to keep our line in tact to win by 19 points to 10. Others to impress on the day were Brain Larkin and Tom O'Neill.

Senior 3rd’s 12 Terenure 27
Following a midterm, rained off game and two Cup ties, the Senior 3rds took to the field for the first time in five weeks with trip to Terenure in the League.  This 5 week break was evident in the first quarter of the game as they struggled to get into it.  They conceded a try on 2 minutes after failing to secure the kickoff for the worst kind of start.  Terenure kept the ball moving an attacked from every angle.  A missed penalty on 10 minutes was followed by a try three minutes later.  The College were in trouble.  But a much improved restart saw the College start to gain field possession and came up just short on a couple of occasions. But all their efforts were undone with two tries in the last four minutes of the half from the Dublin side.  However, the last word of the half would go to the College as a great break saw the ball get to Niall Wyer who beat the cover defence for five points.  Colm Doyle missed the conversion and at half time the ‘Nure led 22-5.  The second half saw a different College side take to the field.  However after some positive play from the College, Terenure capitalised on some poor tackling to get the first try of the half on 50 minutes.   Correcting many of the errors of the first half the College were dominating possession and territory and pressurised Terenure on each attack causing a number of errors.  On such error saw Doyle kick through a dropped ball on 65 minutes.  The chase saw the College take the ball from the full back and eventually make its way to Mike Joyce who touched down.  Doyle added the extras.  The College now looked the better team and were busy at every breakdown and looked to use the ball quickly each time.  However, despite the much improved attack and defence, there would be no more scoring in the game and it finished 27-12 to Terenure.  Notable mentions should go to Tim Murphy, Niall Wyer, Colm Doyle and Mike Joyce.

Junior B 16 St Conleth’s 17
Newbridge College Junior B squad faced St. Conleths in round 2 of the league on Wednesday last. Conditions were ideal and both teams served up a cracker. Newbridge kicked off and put Conleths under pressure and were rewarded with a penalty for holding on after five minutes. Liam Callanan duly slotted the kick. On the restart Newbridge gathered possession and after some great work by the forwards the back line had some space to go wide and Morgan Hurley O’ Dwyer finished an excellent move in the corner. Conleths got on the score sheet with a penalty of their own and at half time it was Newbridge who led 8-3. The second half followed a similar pattern to the first with Newbridge scoring a penalty and an unconverted try leaving the score 16-3 with 5 minutes to go. St. Conleths scored a well worked converted try to leave some anxious moments at the end. Newbridge managed to turn over possession on the restart but Conleths tackling which had been excellent all day resulted in possession and a try on the stroke of full time left the score 16-15 in the home sides favour with the conversion to come. A confident kick split the posts and broke Newbridge hearts. Final score Newbridge 16- St. Conleths 17. Best on the day: Alex Pocock, Stephen Murphy, Simon Hore & Morgan Hurley O’ Dwyer (2 Tries)

Inter B 19  Kilkenny College 19
The inter B’s travelled to Kilkenny college.  The game was played in wonderful conditions and saw the teams play out an entertaining draw.  The opening stages were tight with neither side dominating but it was Kilkenny who struck first.  Kilkenny won the ball inside their own 22 and were able to break away for a score under the posts.   The score got a reaction from Newbridge and a long sustained period of pressure finally resulted in a try for Ethan Lyons after good work from the back line.  He also made the difficult conversion to see the game 7-7 as the half drew to a close.  The second period started with Kilkenny scoring early to lead again at 14-7.  But Newbridge fought back and saw another sustained period of pressure finish in a try for Jack Liston after some great work from the forwards. This time it was Luke Maloney who stepped up to made the difficult conversion to level the game for a second time at 14-14.  Soon after the restart Kilkenny were able to go through the phases, capitalise on lapses in the Newbridge defence and take the lead once again at 19-14.  For the third timeNewbridge had the determination and desire to lead yet another sustained attack camped on the Kilkenny line.  Kilkenny defended admirably but eventually the pressure when Jack Liston scored his second try to get the game back on level terms for the final time.  Ethan Lyons’ conversion attempt from tight on the side-line was agonisingly close to giving Newbridge the lead they deserved on the overall balance of play but it was not to be.  The final moment saw both teams with opportunities to win it but there were to be no more scores as the game finished 19 – 19.  

Eller A 5 Kilkenny 12
The Eller As hosted Kilkenny on Wednesday last looking to get back into the swing of things after an extended period without a game. The opening stages were played out between the 22s as neither side really managed to build any sort of momentum or continuity. The visitors gradually got on top and used the strong breeze to pin Newbridge back into their own territory. Good defensive work led by Rob Scully and Ro Burns repelled the initial Kilkenny surges before their powerful winger broke a couple of tackles and raced down the wing to score. The home side were stung into action and seized the initiative for the remainder of the half. Strong carries from Tom Doyle and Jack Ryan brought play up to the Kilkenny line, giving Newbridge the platform to move the ball wide. Some static back play meant the chance seemed to have evaporated until Ryan Leahy danced along the touchline and stretched to touch down in the corner. The hosts remained on top in the opening stages of the second half but sloppy handling made it difficult to carve out any clear cut opportunities. We were made to pay when excellent continuity saw Kilkenny retain the ball for multiple phases, taking them from their own half into the Newbridge 22. The ball was moved wide for the winger to break a number of tackles and notch his second try. The remainder of the game was an even affair, with neither side looking likely to score until the dying moments when a turnover on halfway presented the home side with a final chance to equalise. Jack Doyle danced through a number of would be tacklers but unfortunately his pass didn't go to hand and the opportunity was lost. Final score Newbridge 5 - 12 Kilkenny

Other Results: Senior 4th 12 Terenure 46; Inter A 7 Kilkenny 20; Eller B 15 Kilkenny 5; Eller Black 25 Kilkenny 5; Eller White 100 Kilkenny 45.

Minor A 5 Kilkenny College 0
The minor A hockey team played a practise match against Kilkenny College at home today the 26th Feb.  The college will face Wesley College next Wednesday in the semi final of the League.  The girls have already played this team in a practise game and the two teams were evenly matched.  They need to be well focused in the next game in order to win and go through to the final.  The College have had a rest from competitive games since before mid term so they were looking forward to the encounter.  The team settled quickly and Jenny Kelly put away the first goal with a good delivery from Rachel Mc Mullen. Aimee Mc Grath contributed the score moving her player out to create the space and allowing Jenny room to take on the keeper. Jenny scored again in the game to a tally of two and Kate Hannon, Emily O Brien, and Rebecca Troy added one each.  Aimee Mc Grath made good runs on the right wing and created much of the scoring chances with hard passing across the goal mouth.
The girls were glad to get practise in the attacking circle with a few short corners. Their league and cup matches have been hotly competitive and in recent games they had as much practise in the defending circle.  Carole Kane in goal was in top form today, and if she can produce those kinds of saves next Wednesday it will well improve the Minor As chances of success.  It is an indication of the commitment of this team that all players attended the training camp run by the college during midterm break. It is with that kind of dedication that “you create your luck” and Newbridge College hope they will get that luck next week.
The final result was 5 to nil.

Congratulations to the Minor B’s who beat St. Wolstan’s 4:0.

First year A and B teams played Santa Sabena, Sutton
Both teams played extremely well and dominated their opposition throughout the games. The As  were most unlucky to be beaten as Santa Sabena had three attacks and scored each time they got to the circle, the College girls needed to be keener to score as they passed the ball around the opponents circle. The Bs also dominated even though they went behind very early, they fought back to score 3 goals the last bring a well worked free which Orla Thompson converted from the top of the circle.

Finally, commiserations to our Junior 1sts who were defeated 3 - 1 in the semi-final of the league  v St Columba’s.

The team of Hannah Sutton, Luke Heffernan, Sarah Behan and Karen Casey won the Showjumping competition held in Cavan Equestrian Centre on Saturday 15th February.  This was a great result for the school.  All riders went clear and Hannah and Karen went into the jump off and won with their combined score which was 4 seconds faster than the next team. This was a fantastic result as Cavan Equestrian centre is the leading equestrian facility in Ireland and always build a  very strong technical track for the riders.  The team also won Best Turned out on the day.  Karen Casey then went on to take 2nd in the Individual competition.  Karen now leads the individual competition by 4 points as we near the climax of the season.

Newbridge College Newbridge, Co. Kildare, Republic of Ireland Tel: +353 45 487200 Fax: +353 45 487234 Email: info@newbridge-college.ie