You are here > Home > News > News
30 November 2012

Sports Roundup 30th November

Senior 1st 16 CBC Monkstwon 15
The Senior 1st continued in league action this Wednesday with a very difficult trip to Monkstown to take on CBC.

The Seniors had to put the disappointment of not having a home quarter-final after loosing only one of their group games behind them and prepare for another big test.  Kicking off with a blinding Winter sun in their eyes the College came under the early pressure and struggled to get out of their own half.  From a lineout, CBC mauled the ball to five metres from the College line and broke to score a try on 4 minutes.  The conversion looked to be sneaking over but the post came to the College's rescue.  The College then had to soak up more pressure and CBC broke the College backline on a couple of occasions but some good tracking back ensured the score remained at 5-nil.  Crunching tackles were becoming the norm as the College defended their line but on 12 minutes CBC found a gap and touched down in the left corner following a sweeping backs move.  Monkstown looked as if they were going to really open up and put the College to the sword but on the restart a different College side appeared.  More controlled, they pushed into the CBC half and the pressure told.  Mistakes started to be made by the Dublin side and the College forced a penalty on 16 minutes.  Unfortunately, Joe Darcy pulled the ball just to the left of the posts.  This was followed by a period of extended attack from the College.  They attacked down the left, right and centre but credit must go to the CBC defence as it repelled their best efforts.  The control on the game that College had was epitomised by Jonathan Phelan in the scrum, who was in total control when the teams packed down, and Niall Delahunt, who entered the backline well to keep the Monkstown defence on it's toes.  As the first half entered it's final minutes it looked like the College were going to remain pointless until some good forward play forced the Dublin side to infringe at a ruck and Robbie Mullen stepped up to slot over the resulting penalty on 32 minutes.  Newbridge controlled the restart and held the ball, which remained in the midfield, until they kicked a penalty to touch and the halftime whistle was blown.
The second half saw the College redouble their efforts and were rewarded early on for some very positive team play.  Mullen converted a penalty on 37 minutes following hard work by the College forwards in the tight piling the pressure on their opposite numbers.  Cracks were starting to show in the CBC defence and it looked like a try for the College would not be too far away.  A further penalty at the breakdown was kicked down the line by Mark Sutton.  A quality lineout with a ball off the top to the scrum half was zipped out to the backs.  Following some clever dummy running and some very good hands, Delahunt took the ball, beat the winger and crossed for five points on 45 minutes.  Mullen added the extras from wide out.  The pressure continued from the College both in set play and in open play.  Phelan and Ed Wynne controlled the front row, Tom Tracy commanded the lineout with both Jack Briody and Conor Doyle throwing and the loose forwards causing havoc in the open.  The backs played their part too.  Sutton, Jake Howlett and Paddy Kyne, along with others, all carried well to keep Monkstown on the backfoot.  All this pressure told with another penalty on 58 minutes and Mullen did well to kick it over from about ten metres in from the touchline.  But the old adage was to ring true as, just two phases after the restart, a loose pass was intercepted in the College 22 and CBC added five to their score.  They failed to kick the conversion and with the bare minimum between the teams this was going to be a real test of the College's resolve.  Again they forced the game but Monkstown, buoyed by the try, were back to their best.  A period followed where both teams attacked tight and out wide but both defences held strong.  With just four minutes remaining the College conceded a penalty.  A quick tap saw the hosts moved ten metres forward.  Up stepped their kicked who set the ball on his tee but then pushed it past the near post.  A long restart pushed CBC into their own half and the College almost stole the ball.  CBC attacked wide out but a loose pass saw the ball hit the deck.  Jack O'Neill claimed the ball for the College.  It was popped back to Sutton who poked it into the corner.  The ball bounced into touch and that was followed by the final whistle and College celebrations for a  16-15 win.  A real hard fought game for the College which was won following a big performance by all involved.

Inter A’s V St. Gerards, Bray
The Inter A’s ground out a win at home against St. Gerards of Bray on Wednesday. The ground conditions were heavy but there was no wind to speak of and no rain, so as rugby goes, it was a good day. On the back of two losses, it was important for Newbridge to perform well and attain a win. The performance was achieved in patches and most good play could be attributed to out-half and captain, Tom Connolly. Gerards got off to the better start with a try in the corner but after that, Newbridge settled into the game. Cian Murphy crossed for a good individual try and Tom converted. Newbridge never lost the lead after that. Ewan Morrin and Paddy Ryan (new to the 8 position) did well to get go forward ball and in general, the pack rucked well. Too often, Gerards were able to take the ball from Newbridge in contact but there definitely has been improvements in the presentaion of the ball and rucking. Peter Doyle found his target in the line-out and Shane did well to distribute to Daragh Ryan (scrum half) or set up the maul. Ben Caulfield, new to full-back was good at fielding kicks and organising the defence. At half time the score was 21 – 12 and in the second half both teams traded tries to leave the final score at 28 – 19. Other try scorers on the day were Tom Connolly, Ben Caulfield and Ewan Morrin. Tom converted all four tries. Overall, the team can be proud of their performance while still know that there’s room for improvement.

Inter B’s V St. Gerards, Bray
Despite being defeated by a physically stronger St Gerard’s team, the Newbridge players, and particularly the pack, put in a great effort and many aspects of their play – particularly at ruck time - were much improved from the previous outing. The forwards had their best game so far in terms of loose play and also competed well at scrum and line-out time. In the pack, Captain Alex Pocock led the team from the front and Niall Stapleton was outstanding around the field, particularly in defence. He also scored a try.  Josh Peacock and Cian Springate did a lot of good work around the field. Andrew Mc Loughlin stopped St Gerard’s a number of times while the back row of Eoghan Briody, Matthew Nugent and Dylan Johnson put in a great afternoon’s work until they tired near the end. Tom Wall was a good link at scrum half while at out half Simon Hore probed and ran the ball, showing himself to be a real danger man. He scored a try and added two conversions, continuing his consistent kicking form. Matthew Murtagh and Enda Dowling, out of their normal positions, faced strong opposition in the centre and did their best, with Enda kicking well on occasion. On the wings Tom Tinsley and James Sutton also made some important interventions. Paschal Thompson put in some fine tackles at full back.  Of the subs, Elliot Davis saved Newbridge with a tackle, Ruari Dawson and Cormac Conlon joined the fray late on and Raimon Fernandez braved the elements to play on the wing for the final stages. All round, a great improvement for this group of players, some of whom have come a long way this season. With more commitment to the tackle the game could have been won. The heavy pitch and strong opposition made this a real test, and the team came away with a lot of positives.

The Eller As made the long trip to Limerick, looking to get back to winning ways against St. Munchins. We raced out of the traps and Greg O Neill got on the end of a good backline move to open the scoring. The first half was a fairly one sided affair and the visitors racked up four more tries, courtesy of Karmon Fitzgerald and a Thomas Grant hat trick. The second half was a closer contest as the home side showed good spirit to fight their way back into the game. Newbridge struggled to develop any sort of attacking rhythm as basic errors crept into their play. We managed to get back on top for the last ten minutes and added two further tries from Cian Prendergast and Karmon Fitzgerald to leave a final score of St. Munchins 0 - 45 Newbridge

The Eller C's travelled to limerick with a good run of form to maintain against St. Munchins in limerick. They got off to a bad start conceding an early try but quickly replied with 3 tries in the half from Tomas Scully, Tadhg Morrison and Evin Magee. Half time score was 15.5. Newbridge got a try and a penalty in the second half scored by Hugo Travers to Munchins single try. The score finished 25.12. Best for Newbridge were Jack Moran and Sean Gallagher.

Other Results: Senior 1st 16 CBC Monkstown 15; Senior 2nd 12 Terenure 34; Junior A 18 CBC Monkstown 20; Eller B 41 St. Munchin's 0.

Hard luck to our Junior Boys Soccer team who lost 3:0 to Cross & Passion yesterday.

Minor A 0 Wesley 3
Our Minor A’s lost to a strong Wesley side yesterday in the league. The girls fought very hard with  Emma Hyland and Caitlin Breen both playing great games in defence.  Jenna Brannock, team captain led by example and worked tirelessly for her team.

Other Results: Junior B’s lost 1-0
Senior A’s lost 2-0

Well done to the novice Team of Orla Harrington Coaimhe Sweeny Amy Carrol and Lisa Sexton who came first in the teams event.  The open team of Aoife Murphy Lauren Heffernan Karyn Casey and Alannah Murphy did well to finish on a team score of eight faults to finish fifth.  Well done also to Caoimhe Sweeny and Amy Carol who came second and third in the novice individuals.

Newbridge College Newbridge, Co. Kildare, Republic of Ireland Tel: +353 45 487200 Fax: +353 45 487234 Email: info@newbridge-college.ie