You are here > Home > News > News
20 December 2010

Sports Roundup December 20

After the recent bad weather our teams finally got to play games this week.

The big game of the day was our SCT league playoff match against Kings Hospital. The winners of this game would go straight to the last 16 of this year’s Lenister Senior Cup while the losers would have to start in the Vinny Murray Cup.

On Wednesday last Newbridge College travelled to Dublin to face Terenure College. It was the first game in almost a month for the squad and for the first 20 minutes you wouldn’t have noticed. Both backs and forwards combined well to keep the game flowing however we never pressed home our advantage. Terenure then got possession and through bad defense on our behalf went over for two converted tries before the break.  Things went from bad to worse as we lost both second rows and one centre. However throughout the second half the commitment of the lads could not be questioned. Captained by Glen Burke and led in the back line by Andrew Shanahan and Podge Murphy they got their reward half way through the second half. Jack Maguire covered across the line in the backs to deny Terenure another try close to the end. The final score was Terenure College 45 Newbridge College 5.  

Our Inters travelled to Kenilworth Square to take on St Mary’s in two games.  Having lost to the same team at home earlier in the season, we were determined to do better this time.  We started well but it was Mary’s who scored first against the run of play with a well taken try.  We stayed focused and soon got a try through Paul Condon.  The same player scored a few minutes later after he picked off the base of a scrum and burst over the line.  Aubrey O’Mahony converted both tries to give us a 14:5 lead at halftime.  It was more of the same in the second half with Donal Delahunt crossing for a try and Condon completing his hat-trick in a man of the match performance.  The winning of the game lay in our physicality at the breakdown and that we managed to play at a high tempo for the majority of the game.  Overall, we played well especially in defence and were well deserving of our 26:5 victory.  

The Inter Bs faced a difficult away trip to St. Marys after an enforced three week layoff due to the poor weather conditions. Despite our lack of match practice we started the game very impressively and some sustained pressure in the Marys 22 was rewarded when Rob McGrattan-Brazil picked from the base of a ruck and forced himself over from short range. Our dominance was rewarded further when Paul Quinn-Fay got on the end of a great team move. A number of pick and drives sucked in the Marys defence and when the ball was spun wide Davy Culliton and Ian Caffrey combined to put Quinn-Fay over in the corner. Caffrey got in on the scoring act himself when he gathered a loose clearance kick and outpaced the cover to touch down right on the stroke of half time. Marys started the second half with a fresh sense of vigour and we were pinned back for the first 15 minutes of the half. Their dominance was rewarded when our brave defence was finally breached after holding out well under such sustained pressure. Some excellent ball carrying from Stephen Rigney and Brian Larkin helped put us back on top and Jack Murphy got on the end of a fine move to score. Mc Grattan-Brazil then got his second try of the game after a slide rule grubber from Davy Culliton to round off a great performance. Final score Newbridge 27 - 5 St. Marys

Other results: Senior 1st 20 King’s Hospital 26; Under 16 A 5 Kilkenny 5-22; Under 16 B 0 Kilkenny 40; Junior A 17 Terenure 0.

Newbridge College Newbridge, Co. Kildare, Republic of Ireland Tel: +353 45 487200 Fax: +353 45 487234 Email: info@newbridge-college.ie