You are here > Home > News > News
24 February 2012

Sports Roundup February 24th

Hockey - Minor A Plate Quarter Final
Newbridge has a home draw which was played in Caragh rd in Naas

against a strongly fancied Rathdown team (a Premier team and coached by Graham Shaw(166 international caps)). With the Newbridge girls keen for a upset they started very strongly and quickly settled into their stride. Laura Hannon and Emma O’Neill were commanding in defense and easily dealt with the Rathdown attacks. Caoimhe Murphy was full of energy and running in midfield and linked up well with Nessa Briody and Louise Scully. Unfortunately against the run of play Newbridge conceded a soft goal just before half time. After the half time chat with their coach Mr. Falvey the girls upped the anti in the 2nd half and were rewarded with a superb equalising goalscored by player of the match Caoimhe Murphy. Emma O’Neill went extremely close a few minutes later. 1-1 at full time. An extra 7 minutes a side had to be played, that score remained 1-1. Penalties. Newbridge quickly got the upped hand with Caoimhe Murphy, Laura Hannon and Louise Scully and our goalie Hannah Begley saved their second flick. Unfortnately it was not to be as Newbridge missed their next two and Rathdown scored theirs, winning 4-3. We definitely let this game slip from our grasp. C’est la vie. As luck would have Newbridge have been drawn to play Rathdown again in the quarter finals of the league next week. So hopefully revenge will be sweet and ours!

Next week sees our two rugby Cup teams playing in very important matches.  Our Senior team are first up on Wednesday when they take on St Andrew’s in the final of the Vinny Murray Cup in Templeville Road.  The following day our Juniors face St Mary’s in the quarterfinal of the Leinster Schools Junior Cup in Anglesea Road.  Both games are sure to be exciting affairs so we are sending out the message that we need as much support as is possible for these games.  Come on the ‘Bridge!

The Senior Seconds completed the group stage of their league this week with a home tie against St. Conleth’s.  The first half was an exhibition in defence from the College.  On the back foot from the kickoff, the College watched Conleth’s own the ball for much of the first half and spent all but a few minutes of the opening 35 in their own half.  Conleth’s hammered the defensive line but the College stood strong.  The travelling team did cross the line in the games first scoring opportunity but knocked on as they went over.  The College made a number of attempts to break out but most were unsuccessful.  A penalty saw the College push deep into their opponents half and some strong running from captain Calum O’Brien saw the College convert their first scoring opportunity on 30 minutes.  Darren McHale missed the conversion.  At halftime the College held a narrow 5-0 lead.
The second half proved to be a total opposite to the first. David Doyle opened the scoring just two minutes in with a great run up the wing.  McHale converted.  Hugh O’Donnell grabbed a brace on 40 and 60 minutes, the second from a well worked lineout.  These came either side of a Jack Coghlan Murray try on 48 minutes which came from a number of phases of 15-man rugby.  McHale failed to convert any of these.  From the kickoff that followed O’Donnell’s second try, Cian Grady offloaded to James Kearns and he broke a number of tackles to run in from the halfway line.  McHale chipped the conversion over.  A third try in four minutes came when Padraig Murphy crossed on 64 minutes.  Again McHale converted.  St. Conleth’s got a consolation try and conversion on 66 minutes.  However, the last word was to go to the College.  Following a crunching tackle from Murphy, Chris Deane scooped the loose ball and crossed for a try.  As the conversion drifted wide the final whistle went and the College had a 46-7 win.

The Senior thirds played their second match in their league against a physically bigger side in Wesley College. Newbridge notched up their second victory albeit with a very fragmented performance. Tries were scored by Joe Darcy, Matthew Stapleton and Conor Doyle with the impressive darcy kicking the remainder in a final score-line of 23-13. Best for Newbridge on the day were Conor J Doyle, Tom Higgins and Sean Tracy in the pack and Joe Darcy, Luke Sutton and Niall Fleming in the backs. Fleming in particular making three impressive line breaks in the second half and two try saving tackles.
Newbridge College have the good fortune this year to be able to field three teams at Junior Level.  The C team had their second league match yesterday, away to Castleknock.  They won the game 52 points to 14, scoring 10 tries in the process.  Up front the two teams were evenly matched with boh sides showing great determiniation in the loose.  Newbidge had pacy wingers who, once thy were put into space had the ability to beat their opposite number and reach the try line. The conditions were testing with constant rain and mud everywhere.  Man of the match for Newbridge was Cillian Murphy at scrum half, with excellent displays from Aiden Nolan, Davy Culliton Patrick Corbett and Mikey Quinn.

The Inter As hosted Pres Bray on a wet and windy Wednesday looking to get back to winning ways after a couple of unsuccessful away trips. The hosts gave an excellent exhibition of wet weather rugby in the opening stages, retaining the ball through a number of phases before turning the physically bigger Bray Pack through astute kicking from half backs Tim Murphy and Robbie Hyland. This controlled approach paid dividends on the score board as first half tries from Colm Doyle, David Breen, Mikey O' Brien and Tim Murphy along with two conversions and a penalty from Murphy left the score at 29 - 0 at the break. The second half was an altogether scrappier affair and with underfoot conditions deteriorating both sides struggled to maintain any sort of go forward ball. However an excellent individual effort from Dylan Walker gave Newbridge the first score of the half before Doyle dived over in the dying moments for his second try to round off a solid performance from the hosts. Final score Newbridge 39 - 0 Pres Bray.

On Wednesday Newbridge Inter B hosted Pres Bray. Conditions for the game were poor but both teams played some great rugby throughout. Newbridge were on the back foot right from the off playing into a strong wind. Pres were very well organised and attacked around the fringes a lot. This gave them a three try to nothing lead inside 15 minutes. Newbridge fought hard to get back into the game but to no avail. Pres had one more try right on the half time whistle. The second half was a much tighter affair with the Newbridge defence becoming more organised. Before long Newbridge went over for what would be their only try of the day. Billy Horrigan converted. Pres continued to fight and pressure and added two more tries before the end. This left the final score Newbridge College 7 - Pres Bray 41. Best on the day - Cormac Magee, Adam Browne, Luke Moran, Dave Berry, David Kennedy and Billy Horrigan. 

Other results: Senior 4th 0 Roscrea 31; Inter B 7 Pres Bray 41

The Senior Hockey team played their final Cup match of the season away to Columba’s College in Dublin on Wednesday 22nd Feb.  The game started well for the college girls and held their own until the last ten minutes of the first half when the home team scored. This was quickly followed be a second goal before half time leaving the visitors two nil down at the break.  Newbridge College found it difficult to keep pace with the game in the second half and two more goals were put away by St Columbas.  It was a disappointing result for the visitors but they were up against a polished and skilful side.  The girls made a supreme effort to recapture some structure to the game but this was not to be. Newbridge look forward to the Dominican Cup in March and hope that they may achieve some good results.

Congratulations to TY student Lindsey Whelan for represented Ireland at the World Wake Boarding Championships in South Africa over the midterm.  Not alone did she do us proud, she also came home with the Bronze medal and is now ranked 3rd in the WORLD in her class.  Here is the report which appeared on the irishwwf.ie website:

Irish Team Rider Lindsay Whelan was first off the dock and threw down two great passes. Despite falling on a 180 she got straight back up and nailed a 360! That took a lot of guts and Lindsay just missed the Silver by two points! Katie Bachelor (GBR) took Silver and Gina Gregoria (ITA) won the Gold. This is only Lindsay’s second international competition and what a fantastic result! Congratulations Lindsay – the whole Irish contingent is very proud

Newbridge College Newbridge, Co. Kildare, Republic of Ireland Tel: +353 45 487200 Fax: +353 45 487234 Email: info@newbridge-college.ie