You are here > Home > News > News
20 January 2017

Sports Roundup Friday 20th January 2017


Our Juniors made the trip to Donnybrook on Monday to face Kilkenny College in the final of this year's Leinster Schools Junior League.

With both teams boasting an unbeaten record going into the final, it was always going to be a hotly contested game and so it proved to be.
Newbridge started the game very well and looked to impose themselves on the Kilkenny pack up front in the opening period of the game. And this proved to work well as Jack O'Connell and Conor McGroary carried excellently, gaining ground and recycling ball very well. One our first visit to the Kilkenny 22, scrum half Cormac King spotted a gap in the defence and snipped through to score. Captain John Shanahan added the extras for a 7 nil lead. Soon afterwards and still with plenty of the ball, we carried excellently through Chris Hart and Peter Leavy, supported all the way by Mark Dennis and Donough Lawlor who were getting through huge amounts of work at the breakdown. We drew a penalty on halfway and when Dónal Conroy took a quick tap, he caught the defence off guard. He broke clear and fed his support runners and then regained possession to score a fine try. Kilkenny to their credit fought back well and bossed the remainder of the 1st half. We defended heroically but when we regained possession, we were guilty of mistakes which handed the ball back to a dominant Kilkenny who pressed hard for their opening score. Right on half time, they finally breached our defence to leave the score 12 5 at the break.
In the second half, we recovered a foot hold in the game and once we were in possession, we set Shanahan free on halfway with a great line break. It looked as though the Kilkenny fullback had him covered until Shanahan turned on the after burners to score a great individual try. We lost Marcus Kiely to injury soon afterwards and Kilkenny stormed back into the game and forced a couple of errors in our defence which saw them unbelievably draw level at 17 points apiece. They had all the momentum at this stage and looked to further punish us. However, after a kick through, outhalf Sam Cahill pounced on a loose ball and just when it looked as though he would be tackled into touch, we showed excellent poise and skill to place the ball in-play before entering touch. Jamie Gaire was on hand to pick up the loose ball and score in the corner. Once again Kilkenny refused to lay down and earned a penalty with minutes remaining.  They kicked the 3 points to close our lead to 2.
From the restart, we pinned Kilkenny back into their 22 and try as they may, ultimately they couldn't find a way out. Our defence stood strong with Conroy tackling everything that moved and we forced a knock on. The ref blew the final whistle and cue pure ecstasy for all connected to Newbridge. League Champs for the first time in six years! Captain John Shanahan accepted the trophy from Lorcan Balff of the Leinster Branch on behalf of our entire Junior squad and the celebrations started in front of our tremendous supports. Our support was a credit to the school and well done to our cheerleaders for never letting the decibel level drop throughout!


Ellers v The Kings Hospital

The Eller As hosted Kings Hospital in their first home game after the Christmas break. The opening exchanges were quite scrappy, with both teams struggling to retain possession for more than a couple of phases. The home side eventually found some rhythm and got on the scoresheet when Cael Chanders drove over from close range. KH came back into the game strongly and had the better of things for the remainder of the half. They scored a try of their own when their powerful prop crashed over from a pick and drive, before almost taking the lead on the stroke of half time only for the winger to knock on with the line at his mercy. Newbridge took the game by the scruff of the neck right from the restart and stretched their lead when Ethan Travers found Pierce Fata with a lovely chip kick behind the onrushing defence. The hooker was left with the simplest of tasks of falling on the ball over the try line. The next try followed soon after when good handling from Dan Mc Mullen and Tom Bohane gave Sam Fitzgibbon the space to drive over. Bohane was the key man in the next try when his long pass found Callum Corcoran who put Harry Farrell away to score. Farrell got his second right on the final whistle after good handling from Corcoran and Travers gave him enough space to sprint 70 meters and score under the posts. Final score Newbridge 31 - 5 KH

Eller B's beat kings hospital comfortably in a free flowing game that saw early tries for Sam mulholland open up the scoring. Followed by strong forward running and handling to allow David Fitzgerald in at the corner. Newbridge could have scored more however dropped balls over the line prevented this. The second half saw more tries and a beautiful try from a kicked penalty to Sam mulholland finished by Ben Keane as kings hospital tried to set their defence. Scorers on the day were
Peter Roche , Ben Keane, Conor McCormack, Max Breen, David Fitzgerald, Sam Mullins x 2, Tom Coleman

Other Results:

Senior 4ths 10 Castleknock 17;


Senior 3rds 0 St Gerards 3
Minor A 0 Kings Hospital 1

Newbridge College Newbridge, Co. Kildare, Republic of Ireland Tel: +353 45 487200 Fax: +353 45 487234 Email: info@newbridge-college.ie