You are here > Home > News > News
22 January 2016

Sports Roundup Friday 22nd January 2016

Senior 2nds 12 St Michael’s 32
The Senior 2nds kicked of their League with a trip to Dublin 4 to face St. Michael’s.  Unfortunately, it appeared they were still mentally on the bus when St. Michael’s ran in three converted tries in the first 15 minutes.

Slowly they started to get to grips with the game and started to build phases and control the ball for larger periods of time.  A more focussed attack with good carries by the forwards, some good rucking and some slick hands from the backs saw the College push close to the Southsider’s line.  Clever use of both forwards and back opened a gap for Enda Dowling to get the first score for the College.  Ruairí Cleary converted.  As the half drew near a penalty put the Dublin side just metres from the College line.  Despite some valiant defence they would have the last say of the half to make it 28-7 to St. Michael’s at the break.
The second half started as the first with a cheap score for the home team.  This, however, steeled the College and they dominated the half in both the possession and territory statistics.  They attacked the St. Michael’s line from all angles (building 20+ phases on more than one occasion) but a solid defence from the home side kept them at bay.  With 20 remaining the ball was spun out wide to find Theodore Hovenden Kelly on the wing and he used every inch of his 6 foot 5 inch second row frame to stretch over in the corner.  Cleary couldn’t add the extras.  Despite a much improve performance this would prove to be the College’s only score of the half and the final score of the game to see it end 33-12 to St. Michael’s.  Special mention must got to Ruairí Cleary, Tom Berney and Dylan Morrissey.

Junior B 24 Gonzaga 19
On Wednesday last Newbridge College travelled to play Gonzaga for the third time this season, in the opening round of the Junior B league.  Newbridge were fired up for the game as Gonzaga had the better of the two previous encounters.  The opening ten minutes of the game went the way of the home team scoring 12 points.  Newbridge then came to life and began to defend with purpose and intensity.  On nineteen minutes Cian Lawlor crossed to reduce the deficit and Jack Carroll added the conversion.  Newbridge were now pressurizing Gonzaga in the right areas of the pitch and following some good work by the forwards Killian Coreless broke clear of the defense to score under the posts on twenty-five minutes.  Jack Carroll again added the extra points.  Newbridge took a two point lead into half time.  Newbridge kept the momentum in the opening minutes of the second half and their efforts were again rewarded when Fionn Walsh scored in the fifth minute.  With only a score between these two teams in previous games Gonzaga were sure to strike back and with five minutes to go the sides were level.  It could have been worse in that ten minute period but for resolute defending from Newbridge.  There was to be one final score however and it came the way of the Newbridge side.  With three minutes left on the clock, Alex Buckley went through a gap in the defense to leave the final score Newbridge College 24 – Gonzaga 19.  Best on the day were David Williamson, Jack Hannon, Ryan Mullins, Sean Barrett, Jamie Buckley and Finn O Brien.

Kings Hospital 0 Eller A 27
The Eller As continued their impressive season when they overcame a dogged Kings Hospital team on Wednesday last. Newbridge took control of the game from the off but some excellent scramble defence from the home side meant possession and territory weren't converted into points in the opening stages. The breakthrough finally came after a quarter of an hour when good work from Sam Prendergast and David Marshall put Daniel Silke-Fetherston away to score. The same player notched his second try almost immediately after a great carry from Luke Gorman had got in behind the home defence. The lead was stretched on the stroke of half time when a superb run from Hugh Prendergast took play to within a couple of meters of the try line. The next couple of thrusts were repelled well by the Dublin side until Shane Fata wriggled over from close range. The second half opened in a similar fashion to the first with the Newbridge backs tearing the opposition to shreds on a number of occasions but a combination of brave defence and passing inaccuracy meant numerous chances went begging. The next score finally came when some evasive running from Hugh Doyle set up excellent field position. A couple of forward rumbles later Luca Borgonova forced his way over with a strong carry. The next few minutes of the match became the Luke Gorman show. The second row was already having a superb game, stealing numerous lineouts and punching holes in the home defence. A ferociously physical defensive cameo in which he made three bone shuddering tackles in quick succession completely deflated any sense of fight left in the KH resistance. The scoring was rounded off right on the final whistle when sharp passing from Fata and Adam Conneely sent Silke-Fetherston into space on his own 10 metre line. The winger still had plenty to do but a combination of strength and footwork left five defenders trailing in his wake as he dotted down for his hat trick.
Final score KH 0 - 27 Newbridge

Other Results: Senior 2nd’s 12 St Michael’s 33; Senior 4th’s 17 Kilkenny 12; Inter A 19 Blackrock 42; Inter B 7 Blackrock 55; Eller B 84 Kings Hospital 0; Eller C Black/White 124 King's Hospital 0.

Minor A 3 Mount Sackville 1
A cracker of a performance from our Minor A's today as they took on Mt. Sackville.  Newbridge were 2 nil down at half time but they didn't drop the heads, they fought hard and full time saw the sides level with goals from Emma Brady and Anna Kelly. No score in extra time lead to penalties. Newbridge won 3-1 and there was great excitement all round. Player of the match was Anna young with Caoimhe Byrne and Eva Matthews close second. Very proud of all of the girls today!

1st Yr B v Holy Child Kiliney
First year Bs played Holy Child Kiliney at home in their second league game.  The match was very evenly matched with play well distributed on both sides. The first half was 0-0 and the College girls were unlucky not to be ahead as they had 2 penalty corners.  Early in the second half HCK made 2 strong attacks and scored twice, try as they did the College girls could not get back on terms, and the game finished 0-2.  Doireann Halpin defended superbly and Emily Carter and Caoimhe Stopes were also excellent, but the whole team played with great spirit and are showing lots of potential.

Other Results: Senior A 1 Muckross 3; Junior A 0 Muckross 1; 

Newbridge College Newbridge, Co. Kildare, Republic of Ireland Tel: +353 45 487200 Fax: +353 45 487234 Email: info@newbridge-college.ie