You are here > Home > News > News
17 January 2011

Sports Roundup January 17

We start the new year by bidding a farewell to the snow that

halted a very busy sporting programme before Christmas and hoping that we can get back on track or on pitch as it were from here on!  We also wish our two Cup rugby teams the very best in their upcoming fixtures.  Our Senior’s campaign starts this coming Wednesday (19th Jan) with a trip to Barnhall RFC in  Celbridge to take on a strong Mount Temple team in the 1st Rd of the Vinny Murray Cup.  Our Junior’s don’t play in the Cup until February but are also busy now that they have reached the League Final.  This game against C.B.C. Monkstown takes place this Thursday (20th Jan) under the lights of Donnybrook with a 7pm kick off.

Newbridge qualified for the final of the Leinster Schools’ Junior League after this comprehensive semi final victory over St Andrews.  Newbridge travelled in confidence after a very successful start to the competition which seen them top their group.  Their confidence was proven to be well founded when Tom Brady broke well of the back of a scrum to put Newbridge into a 7-0 lead.  Two well worked back line moves were scored and coolly converted by full back Chris Healy.  Newbridge, playing with the prevailing wind, opened up an even wider lead through Jack O Neill and then Tom Brady, after a great break from Mark Sutton. N ewbridge lead 31-0 at half time.  The second half continued in much the same vain with Cormac Nugent scoring in the corner.  Chris Healy capped a superb display by completing his hat-trick midway through the second. With the wind at their backs, and a raft of Newbridge substitutions, Andrews came back into the game.  Indeed Andrews were unlucky not to score but for some spirited Newbridge defending late on.  However by this stage the result of the game was well beyond doubt.  Best on the day for Newbridge were Mark Sutton, Tom Brady and Man of the Match Chris Healy with 21 points of Newbridge’s total.  Final score Newbridge 41 St Andrew’s 0.

Newbridge Senior 1st had a very tough encounter against a very physical Glenstal Abbey.  In terrible conditions these two sides played out a stop/start match. Glenstal took an early led with a penalty. Newbridge had three kickable penalties over the course of the first half but choose to kick for the corner and test the Glenstal line.  Glenstal scored a very scrappy try early in the second half.  Glenstal then managed to retained the ball for large sections of the second half starving Newbridge of the ball. Newbridge did make good ground with any ball they got their hands on, but unfortunately couldn’t capitalise once inside the opposition’s 22.  Stand out players for Newbridge on the day were Bryan O’ Donnell, Charlie Kings, Billy Scully, Peter Osborne (Capt), John Jennings and especially James Connelly at 8

The Inter As took on Rockwell in their first match back after the Christmas holidays.  The opening period of the game was a scrappy affair, with the weather conditions making it difficult for either side to build a string of attacking phases.  Rockwell took the lead midway through the half when their dangerous full back made an excellent break and fed their winger who scored in the corner.  Newbridge hit back and dominated possession and territory for the remainder of the half, with Pat Morrin and Mike Doyle making some excellent carries.  The pressure told when Donal Delahunt forced himself over from close range after a series of pick and drives from the pack.  We continued our dominance after the break and camped in the Rockwell 22 for almost the entirety of the second period.  However Rockwell defended resolutely and we struggled to break down their dogged defence.  Luke Menton, Tom Dore and Will Mc Donald all came agonisingly close to scoring the try that our pressure deserved but it looked like the match was destined to end in draw.  However, a scrum in a central area just outside the Rockwell 22 presented us with one last scoring chance.  Luke Menton broke sharply from the base and offloaded to Ciaran Callan, who drew the winger and sent Tom Dore racing into the corner to touch down.  Ian Caffery was unsuccessful with his conversion attempt but it proved irrelevant as the final whistle blew immediately. Final score Newbridge 10 - 5 Rockwell.

Our Inter B team also hosted Rockwell College and this was a hotly contested affair which also went right to the final whistle.  It was Rockwell that made most of the running in the first have and opened up a 19 : 9 lead.  But we never gave up and fought back to close the gap to 19 : 15 in the second half.  We then got a try with time running out to win the game 22 : 19 which was a credit to the entire team for their never say die attitude.

Christmas Friendly Results: Senior 1st XV 18 Árd Scoil Rís 25; Junior A’s 11 Árd Scoil Rís 8.

The Senior 1st hockey team played there 4th game of the League on Wednesday in Naas against a formidable Notre Dame.  Newbridge fielded a relatively new team to the usual due to sickness and absenteeism.  The game started at lightning pace and soon Newbridge were getting the upper hand and staged several attacks on goal.  Melissa Lyons was proving a menace in the semi circle and it took two defenders to hold her.  Most of the attack came from the right wing through Emily Higgins and Aoife Bergin who had an outstanding game.  Aileen Kyne,  Grace McGarry Dearbhla Ryan all played a stormer in defense and set up some great attacks.  Notre Dame were by far the physically stronger team and most Newbridge attacks were met with staunch defense.  The game remained 0-0 at half time.  Newbridge changed their tactics in the second half by attacking the down the side lines and the end lines which eventually paid off resulting in the first goal of the match scored by Una Delahunt.  Great distribution of the ball by Muireann Kavanagh and Dearbhla Ryan to the forwards was inch perfect and soon the second goal was to come when Muireann Kavanagh shot a low and hard across the goal face where again the one and only Una Delahunt got her stick to it and deflected it into the goal.  The game ended 2-0.  Newbridge will be meeting Sutton Park in their final group game this Wednesday in Naas at 3pm

Junior A's travelled to Mount Anville yesterday for their 4th league game of the season.  On what should have been a good contest, Newbridge didn't hit the ground running and failed to play as a unit.  Newbridge kept Mount Anville at bay in the first half with 4 superb saves from goalie Aoife Fennell and half time score was 1 nil.  Mount Anville showed great individual skill and signs of a well drilled team on their familiar astro surface! Newbridge dug deep and worked hard until the final whistle but unfortunately were beaten 4 nil.  Some good individual performances came from Roisin Burns, Caoimhe Murphy and Ali O'Brien.

A must win game for the college minor team to keep their chances of progressing in the league alive. Newbridge started extremely brightly, everyone full of running and linking up extremely well.  Muireann Scully dominated the midfield and distributed the ball up to Nicola Dowling, Aisling Lawlor and Lynn Phelan in attack.  Newbridge scored a well taken team goal finished off by Lynn Phelan. Stephen’s Green had a few chances, however a lot of them were of Newbridge’s own making. Half time score 1-0.  In the 2nd half Newbridge played with great determination to secure the win and were rewarded for their great efforts with two goals from Muireann Scully and Nicola Dowling.  Others players that played particularly well were the goalie Orna Furey and Sarah Kearin.  Newbridge Minor A v Loreto Stephen’s Green 3-0.
The First Y ear A team registered their first league win on Wednesday against Our Lady’s Grove. Played at home, the college girls were never in any danger of losing as they exerted sustained pressure from tip to final whistle.  All attacks were worked from midfield with Louise Scully and Laura Hannon combining well. Blaithnaid Corless and Caoimhe Murphy had the opposition under constant pressure.  In the second half Lucy Field pushed forward and the well deserved goal came from good work on the left with Lucy and Elaine Hayden and the eventual strike coming from close range by Blaithnaid Corless. Sweeper Nessa Briody was in control at all times and kept OLG well contained.  It was an excellent performance after such a long break from the game due to the weather experienced in December.

Newbridge College Newbridge, Co. Kildare, Republic of Ireland Tel: +353 45 487200 Fax: +353 45 487234 Email: info@newbridge-college.ie