You are here > Home > News > News
11 October 2010

Sports Roundup October 11

Congratulations to all the College competitors at our Inter Schools show jumping Competition held last Sunday October 3rd . 

Our novice team Kaitlyn Nolan, Gillian Wall, Megan Flanagan and Nessa Briody came joint 7th out of 17 novice teams and won best turned out.  Rebecca Higgins also competed and did very well.  Special congratulations to Gillian who came 2nd in the novice Individual competition.  We had 4 teams competing in the open competition.  3 of our teams qualified for the final jump off round.  Our black team Carolyn Harty, Clare Manning, Aisling Doyle and Alyssa O'Neill finished in 4th place out of the 39 open teams competing.  Our white team Emily Higgins, Maedhbh Brassil, Sadhbh Springate and Delphine Cordonnier finished in 8th place and our silver team Charlotte Quinn, Hannah Quinn, Hannah Sutton and Kate Hensy, also qualified for the jump off round and finished just outside the top 10.  Our gold team Victoria O'Brien, Hayley Banahan, Karen Casey and Katy Hudson finished on just 4 faults.  In the Open Individual competition Alyssa O'Neill came 5th and Kate Hensey came 6th.  Well done to all and thanks to all students who came to help as well

The Seniors got their league campaign off to a winning start on Wednesday against CUS. In an ebb and flow game Newbridge just about deserved to win against a very good CUS side. Newbridge got off to a great start with a try from scrum half Cathal Murtagh, sniping from the base of a ruck and catching the CUS defence napping. The conversion was successfully kicked by Peter Osbourne, who kicked very well all day. Despite another try from full back Daniel O Loughlin before half time after a great break by centre Ben O Connor, Newbridge only led by two at the break, allowing CUS over the line after some bad defending. A yellow card to out half Peter Osbourne didn’t help matters but the team recovered their composure and continued to look dangerous throughout. A penalty from Peter Osbourne put Newbridge ahead by five but then sloppy play by Newbridge in their own half allowed CUS over again to level the scores. CUS then took the lead through a penalty. Newbridge responded with a great backs move brilliaintly finished by winger Chris Deane and converted by Osbourne again. It left Newbridge ahead by four with only minutes left. It was a nervy finish especially when Colin Grant was sin-binned for hands in the ruck however some great defending kept CUS out. Best for Newbridge on the day were captain William O Brien, James Connolly, Cillian Dempsey in the pack and Cathal Murtagh, Ben O Connor and Chris Deane in the backs.

A depleted Newbridge Senior 2nd’s played host to C.U.S. at home. With the bare fifteen players, Newbridge fought tirelessly but unfortunately their lack of cover saw them lose by a hefty margin. Every single player on the Newbridge team stood up to be counted on the day with David Quirke, Conor Murphy, Donal Mangan and Adam Murphy displaying fine performances from the pack and Ruairi Kehoe – Clarke and Ross Buckley the outstanding players in the backs.

The Transition Years continued their league this week with a match against near neighbors, Clongowes.  A tight opening, with both sides having attacking opportunities, saw the first real scoring chance fall to the College on 11 minutes.  But Patrick Cross saw his penalty drift to the left of the posts and wide.  Newbridge kept up the pressure and just two minutes later, following a break by Cross were within metres of the Clongowes line.  However ,an unforced error of hands in the ruck, saw Clongowes awarded a penalty and they duly cleared their lines.  On 18 minutes, Clongowes attacked down the right and with quick ball from a ruck they spun the ball left and the winger crossed the line out wide and headed for the post to touch down to their left.  The conversion made it 7-0 to the visitors.  Newbridge came right back and just three minutes later Cross kicked a penalty to reduce the deficit to four.  The College now started to string phases together a little more easily but on 25 minutes, while trying to force the ball out wide, a loose pass was intercepted by Clongowes and they ran in from 30 metres.  A missed conversion left it 3-12.  Once again, the College returned after a score with a solid attack and on 27 minutes Cross converted a penalty to put the score on 6-12.  Continued pressure saw Cross follow this on 35 minutes with another three pointer to make it 9-12 at the break.

The College returned to the field set to continue their attack from the first half but it would be the Clane side who would get the first score.  From a lineout, they drove a maul to the line and touched down for a score with 40 minutes on the clock.  Again the conversion was missed to leave it 17-9 to Clongowes.  But once again, following a good attack from the College and further indicipline around the ruck from the visitors, Cross stepped up and kicked his fourth from five to make it 12-17 just a minute after the try.  This was followed by a sustained period of pressure by the College but the Clongowes defense stood solid.  Following some 20 minutes in what seemed to be total control of the ball the College had failed to reduce the deficit.  There was however to be one final score.  As is often the case when one team is chasing the game the other can find a hole to get through.  This was the case here and with five minutes left Clongowes broke from inside their half and crossed in the corner.  A tough conversion attempt fell short and the score sat at 22-12.  Despite a final push from the College this is how the game would end.  This really was an example to the College of what happens when you fail to convert possession into points, while Clongowes showed a great ability to make the most of chances when come.

One noteable mention must go to Ed Wynne who stepped in to take the kicks from hand in Cross’ absence.  Cross went off injured five minutes into the second half and Wynne took on the task with ease.  One up for the Front Row Union I think!

The Inter A’s had a fantastic win over Clongowes on Wednesday last in Clongowes. The first half was a very close affair but by half time Newbridge had built up a good lead. James Healy finished off a good backs move to make a break up the wing and score under the posts. While it seemed to be a balanced match at set piece and at the breakdown, Newbridge owned the play when the ball was in the open. The defence was good in the centre (Rob Buckley and Niall Kearns applying a lot of pressure) and it forced Clongowes to concede ground and ultimately resulted in tries for the travelling side. In the second half, the 2 centres both got tries and Paul Condon led by example and got a try on behalf of the forwards. Aubrey O’ Mahoney played well for his first time at full back and also added to the scoreboard with 1 penalty and 3 conversions. Final score... 29 – 10 to Newbridge

Our Inter B’s also played Clongowes in Clane and started brightly scoring a try through Ian Caffrey.  We were 10:0 up when Paul Quinn-Fay finished off a great team try.  Clongowes got back into the game after their scrum half took a quick tap penalty close to our line.  In the second half, we performed better and two tries from Robbie Culliton saw us run out winners by 22 points to 10.  Best on the day for NNewbridge was Luke Menton.

The Inter C's lined out on the astroturf pitch against Clongowes without a number of regular starters due to injury. Clongowes started well and scored an early try to take the lead but we fought back and enjoyed a good spell of pressure in theit 22. Our failure to capatilise on this was made worse when Darragh Riehn and the influential Cathal Ryan both had to be taken off injured. Clongowes dominated the remainder of the half and scored a number of well worked tries. Our defence improved in the second half but we were unable to manufacture any scoring opportunities for ourselves. Final Score Clongowes 44 - 0 Newbridge

Other Scores: Junior A v C.U.S. 64-0

On Wednesday the minor B hockey team replayed their league match against St. Andrews. The girls played very well and have improved since their first match against St. Andrews.  They were unfortunate not to score. Everyone played well particularly K Berney, A Walsh, A Buckley, A Rutledge, A Dawson and MK Dawson.  Team: O Furey, N Leahy, A Dawson, A Mulligan, S Springate, A Walsh, J Silke Featherston, A Buckley, K Berney, MK Dawson, E Byrne, J Kenna, H Murphy, A Dalton, A Rutledge.

A really good start to the season for the Minor Bs who drew 0 0 v St Andrews. After a nervous start the girls settled down. Sweeper Allison Walsh was strong in defence leaving Goaly Orna Furey with little to do. Our attack was led by Katie Berney who did great work and we were unfortunate not to score . Amy Dawson and Aoife Ruttledge were excellent in midfield. The team was lead by Captain on the day Holly Murphy.

The first year blue team played a fantastic match against a strong Wesley team in Dublin on 5th October. Outstanding performances from nessa briody,blaithnaid corless and Kiera kiely lead to Laura marshal scoring a great goal before half time. Great defence by Louise Scully, ornaith Mahon and Laura hannon prevented a determined Wesley From scoring an equaliser and the match ended 1-0 to Newbridge.

The green team were next to face a Wesley team and despite some outstanding performances from Alice murphy, Martha mcgarry and aoibhin Tutty-bardon,Newbridge conceded a goal in the second half. Despite strong attacks from meadhbh Doyle, carrie-Anne channon and Leah fidget-Brewster Newbridge were unable to level the game. Great performances also from eveanna Sutton, aveen van deer hoven, Karen casey and Alice cudmore.

Well done to the 1st year RED team who beat Kings Hospital 3-0.  Excellent goals scored by Emily McGarry, Nicky Dwyer and Alison Clarke.  Well done also to the 1st year YELLOW team who drew 0-0 with Kings Hospital.  Great play by Roisin Crowe and Sarah Barrett. Congratulations to the 1st Yr hockey BLUE team, who beat Wesley 1-nil and hard luck to the 1st Yr hockey GREEN team who lost to Wesley 1-nil

WELL DONE to the Senior 3rds who beat St. Wolstans 2-1 – great play by all the girls!

Well done to the Cadets on their win and hard luck to the Seniors who battled bravely.

Well done to the Senior Boys Soccer team who had a 2-2 draw v Clane Community School yesterday.

Newbridge College Newbridge, Co. Kildare, Republic of Ireland Tel: +353 45 487200 Fax: +353 45 487234 Email: info@newbridge-college.ie