You are here > Home > News > News
01 November 2010

Sports Roundup October 25

The Seniors made it two from two in the league on Wednesday last against Wesley.

They recovered from a very poor start, being 11-0 down after 20 mins. to win 19-11.  In a very fragmented first half Newbridge conceded a lot of possession and territory to a fired up Wesley side making a lot of unforced errors.  They managed to recover close to the break with Cillian Dempsey rounding off a great forward drive for an important try and conversion by Peter Osbourne.  The second half saw a huge improvement from Newbridge with the pack taking on much more ball and retaining possession.  Their hard work paid off with two further tries from centre Philip O’Neill.  Other chances were spurned to get the bonus point try, but in the end Newbridge were just relieved with the win after such a bad start.  Best for Newbridge on the day were Charlie Kings, James Connolly and Bryan O’Donnell in the pack and Ben O’Connor, Philip O’Neill and Cathal Murtagh in the backs.

The J.C.T. had a comfortable 46-0 win against Presentation Bray in their second home league match of the season. Newbridge started much the stronger with Chris Healy getting Newbridge of to flying start, touching down well in the corner. Newbridge continued to apply the pressure and after a lovely back line move, Mark Sutton touched down unopposed under the post to add another seven points to the Newbridge tally. By now Newbridge were well in control and man of the match Cormac Nugent got his name on the score sheet as Newbridge went in at half time 31-0 the better. Newbridge substitutes Niall Fleming and Conor Doyle helped Newbridge to an eventual winning score line of 46-0 . Best on the day for Newbridge were Tom Dunne, Mark Sutton, Jake Howlett and Cormac Nugent.

Our Junior B team travelled to King’s Hospital.  After a bright start from the home team and conceding a penalty we went behind by 3.  The players then began to put their own stamp on the match and with some great handling Podge Murphy went in under the posts for our first try and was converted by Glen Burke.  KH were a strong physical team and were causing us problems.  However a great move in midfield allowed Gavin O Neill some space and with a 2 v 1 Tommy Leahy went in for a try.  The halftime score included a third try from Kevin Cleary and we lead 19-10.  The second half saw us start brightly and we were off the mark within minutes when Podge Murphy got his 2nd try again Glen Burk converted. However this was to be the end of our scoring as KH then took over. Our defense had to endure a lot of pressure and it wasn’t until the last play of the game that KH took the lead to win the game 27-26

The Under 16/Transition Years took on the North Midlands regional team under lights at Newbridge Rugby Club on Wednesday evening.  With a number of the squad missing it was a chance for some more players to make a claim for a first team spot.  The game started with some good play by both sides and while both put some good phases together, fundamental errors prevented any real scoring chances.  On 18 minutes the College finally clicked and after a great forward rumble, Oisin McKnight touched down.  Ivan Briody missed the conversion.  On 28minutes, after pressure on the North Midlands scrum, the College were awarded a free kick which saw Ed Wynne crash over.  The conversion hit the post.  The opposition hit back, almost immediately, with a try of their own following some good recycling.  As the break approached the score was 10-5 but in injury time, following some 8 phases and shifting the ball from right to left and back again, Wynne touched down in the corner.  Conversion missed and whistle blown, the half-time score was 15-5 to the College.
The second half saw the North Midlands side struggle with the physicality of the College side.  With the lion’s share of second half possession and territory, some excellent forward play with great recycling at ruck and maul time combined with sensible use of the backs saw tries on 38, 44 and 55 minutes by Richard Dalton and a brace from Sean Healy.  The middle try was converted, by Wynne, to leave it 32-5.  On 58 minutes, Brian Hayden picked from a scrum on the College 10 metre line, broke 4 tackles and was finally felled 4 metres from the try line.  With McKnight in close support, Hayden offloaded and got back to his feet to support McKnight and touchdown for a five pointer.  The North Midlands side kept pushing and were rewarded with the final try on 65 minutes.  Conversion missed, the game ended 37-10 to the College.  While all who took to the pitch gave their all, notable mentions should go to Oisin McKnight, Richard Dalton, Ivan Briody and Sean Healy.

The Inter A’s played out a convincing win on Wednesday last in Terenure College. At no stage did they look under real trouble of giving up the lead that they had got early in the first half through 2 early tries. Terenure did cross the line once in the first half and twice early in 2nd half but Newbridge fought back harder and finished out the game the dominant side. All 16 players involved in the match played well and the try scorers on the day were Luke Menton, Oisin Kelly, James Healy and two tries by Ciaran Callan (who also got 2 conversions). Special mention must go to James Healy who had a fine debut at out-half for the college. The final score was 34 points to 17.

The Inter B’s also took on Terenure and played in what could only be described as a game of two halves.  Tries from Robert McGrattan Brazill (2), Ian Caffrey and Paul Quinn-Fay saw us take a deserved 20 point half time lead.  We were playing better in all fascists of the game and looked to be on our way to a facile victory.  The second half was a different story however with the home team to their credit playing much better.  But while Terenure’s play improved, it has to be said that the second half penalty count of 17 to 2 in Terenure’s favour was also a major contributing factor!!  This all lead to the home team getting back to tie the game 20 points apiece.  They were then awarded a penalty in front of the posts which they converted to leave the final score 23 20 to Terenure.  Best on the day for Newbridge were Rob McGrattan Brazill and Ian Caffrey.

The Inter Cs lined up against Terenure hoping for a big improvement on out recent performances. We started the game very well and some great handling sent Conor Hyland through to open the scoring inside the opening two minutes. Terenure hit back with two tries of their own before some great work from Sean Farrell allowed Brian Morrison to race away down the wing and score. Unfortunately some poor tackling Terenure breach our defence again and we trailed by 19 points to 10 at the break. The second half was a real end to end affair with both sides playing some great attacking rugby leading to plenty of tries. We scored further tries through Eoin Collins, Peter Carroll, Stuart O' Reilly and Sean Farrell and with five minutes remaining the game was delicately poised at 36 points apiece. Terenure enjoyed a good spell of pressure inside our 22 but some great work from Brian Kelly saw the ball turned over. Tom Dunne and Ciaran Howard then combined to put Peter Moloney-Cummins through a gap just 15 meters from our own line. Our attacking ambition was rewarded when Peter showed the defence a clean pair of heels to race 85 meters and score under the posts. Howard added the conversion and some brave defence for the last few minutes saw us hold out for a 43 - 36 win.

Our Eller A’s comprehensively beat Clongowes by 59 point to nil on Wednesday.

Eller B’s started very well against Clongowes with the half-time score of 12-12.  It was an even contest with Clongowes scoring first but when Newdridge found their stride with scores from Kevin Dunphy and Michael O’ Brien.  The second half saw an intense contest but Clongowes pulled ahead and maintained a lead of two tries.  Final score: Newbridge 19 Clongowes 31.  Special mention to Kevin Dunphy on his fine debut and to Dylan Walsh on his sturdy performance at out-half.

Other  Results:  Junior A 48 Pres. Bray 0; Inter A v Terenure 34-17; Eller C 12 Clongowes 32; Eller D 49 Clongowes 25.
The senior first team began this year season against St Joseph of Cluny. The match was held in Naas and started in blistering fashion.  Newbridge led the attack on goal and were unlucky not to score through Melissa Lyons.  St Josephs defense was very strong and their tackling was intense which made it very difficult for Newbridge to penetrate.  A goal came for the opposition in the middle of the first half from a short corner which spilled in eventually.  St Josephs began their defense from then on and Newbridge unloaded their attack.  Newbridge were awarded several short corners and were unlucky not to capitalize on them.  A break came in the latter parts of the second half when Newbridge got possession in the semi circle when a few shots on goal were deflected out but onto Una Delahunt’s stick when she confidently put it away to draw the match 1-1.  Newbridge continued the pressure on the Cluny goals where a very busy and skilful goalie denied Newbridge there winning goal.  The team played well for their first match and special recognition to  Roisin Flynn, Muireann Kavanagh, Aileen Kyne, Melissa Lyons and player of the match Grace McGarry.

Hard luck to the first year hockey teams:  First Year A’s v Newpark Comprehensive 0-4 and First Year C’s v Newpark Comprehensive 0-1.

Congratulations to Cathal Gorman, Michael Norris, James Tighe and Ashley Duane on their win over Presentation Killina on Thursday.  Ashley and Michael finished 6 Up while Cathal and James finished 17 Up.

Newbridge College Newbridge, Co. Kildare, Republic of Ireland Tel: +353 45 487200 Fax: +353 45 487234 Email: info@newbridge-college.ie