You are here > Home > News > News
07 November 2011

Sports Roundup October 28

Our Junior’s travelled to Dublin to take on St Andrew’s in our latest Leinster League match. 

We were slow to get into the game and this seemed to affect our performance throughout. However, we showed good pressure in defence to force and error which saw Patrick Morrin pounce on a loose ball to give us a 5 point lead.  In the second half we doubled our advantage when Mark Delaney scored from close range.  Andrew’s came back into the game and were rewarded 3 minutes from time when they scored in the corner.  We rallied well to secure the win when James Healy finished off the move of the game right on the final whistle.  Away wins are always difficult in the league but we almost played the price for not playing as well as we have in recent weeks.  After midterm we face what is a top of the table clash against C.B.C. Monkstown which will demand our upmost attention in the build up.

Our  TY 2nd’s played Pres Bray away from home in their second game of the league. It was really a game of two halves with Pres Bray taking a lead of 19 – 0 in the first 40 minutes. Newbridge finally took a grip of the game and battled back to 24 – 19 by the final whistle. Over the course of the game Newbridge were more deserving of the win but it was their mistakes and mis-tackles that was the deciding factor. Stand-out players for Newbridge were Charlie Conlon, Kevin Cleary, Jack Lawlor, Andrew Shanahan, Phil Ryan and Jack Maguire.

The Junior C’s had their first official fixture this season when they travelled to CBC Monkstown last Wednesday. It’s the first time in a long time (maybe ever) that Newbridge was able to field a Junior C team. The team played on a considerably smaller pitch but still managed to find holes in the CBC defence. Killian Murphy scored early in the match and Robert Mc Grattin Brassil converted. Later in the half, Conor Hyland crossed the line and Rob again added the extra 2 points. This passage in play was followed by a strong burst by the home side to get 2 tries and a conversion before the break. Half time: 14 – 12. Coach Ryan Jones had a word to the Newbridge team about making the first up tackles and whatever he said must have worked! CBC didn’t score again in the match. Newbridge, on the other hand, scored 5 more tries. Killian Murphy got his second, while Charlie Lawlor, Charlie Byrne, captain Daragh Reihn and Nathan Mc Sharry got one each. Rob Mc Grattin Brassil, Ciaran Howard and Sean Cox added a conversion each to leave the final score at 45 – 12. Others worth mentioning for their efforts on the day are Stuart O’ Reilly, Jamie Ferris and Mikey Quinn in the pack and Peter Maloney Cummins in the backline.

Inter A 27 C.B.C. Monkstown 20.  A thirteen point haul from Newbridge Man of the Match Gavin Burke was enough to seal this pulsating encounter. Burke scored a magnificent try and a long range penalty to make it eight points in eight second half minutes that sealed the clash. Newbridge had started brightly in the first half with Burke going over early to put Newbridge in the lead. Monkstown however stormed back into the game with three tries that went unanswered until Danny Murphy went over for Newbridge just before the break. All this meant Monkstown went in at half time with a slender lead. Newbridge started much the stronger in the second half and this  was rewarded with a Colm Stapleton break and try. Monkstown replied again with a  try of their own, but Burke would have the final say for Newbridge capping a  virtuoso performance with a under the posts try and a long range penalty to effectively seal the game. Best on the day for Newbridge were Tim Murphy, Mike Higgins, Dylan Walker and Gavin Burke.

Our Inter B’s also hosted C.B.C.  The conditions were a bit soft under foot however both teams gave it their all throughout the game. There was only 3 mins on the clock when CBC cut through the defence to open the scoring. Newbridge got stuck in and after some great play they had a try of their own when Michael  O Brien ran the length of the pitch to score under the posts. James Lawlor converted. This slender lead wasn’t long lived when on 15 mins CBC again breached the Newbridge defence to score their second of the day. The ding dong battle that was occurring in the middle of the pitch was reflected on the score board as well when Newbridge drew level on 25 mins with another try. As the half was drawing to a close CBC snatched the lead again with a converted try in the last minute. The half time score was Newbridge 12 - CBC Monkstown 19. With nothing in it and all to play for Newbridge came out fighting in the second half. After a period of dominance in the first 10 mins of the second half we could not breach their line and when they turned the ball over on their own 22, quick hands sent their winger away for the first try of the second half. Newbridge heads went down and they were in again two minutes later. Newbridge stayed battling and were rewarded on 20 minutes with another try under the posts. However Monkstown weren’t finished yet s they tacked on another try on 25 minutes to leave the final score Newbridge College 19 - CBC Monkstown 38. Best on the day for Newbridge: Tadhg Spain, Cormac Magee, Adam Browne, Darragh smith, Billy Horrigan, David Kennedy and Keith Hui.

Other Results: Senior 1st 24 St. Andrew’s 13; Eller A 40 CBC Monkstown 5; Eller B 24 CBC Monkstown 40; Eller C/D 1 15 CBC Monkstown 10; Eller C/D 2 10 CBC Monkstown 5;

The Senior 1 Hockey Team played the second match of their league fixtures against a very strong and polished side from St Columbas.. They were the winners of the Senior 1 league in 2010- 2011 season so we expected a competitive match. The Newbridge team struggled to settle on the astro surface and much of the first half was spent defending the circle and the goal. At the end of the first half the visiting team had scored four goals.  The Newbridge team came out after half time determined to make a better mark on the game.  This they did. Although their opposition were the stronger and more skilled team Newbridge chased every ball, and put a lot more pressure on the opposition. This paid off and as the game progressed the Newbridge players settled and competed well. It would have to be said that the defenders worked hard and were under much pressure. To their credit Newbridge kept their heads up, and played hard to the final whistle.

Newbridge College Minor A v St Columba’s A
The minor A team continued their fantastic start to the season with another 3-0 win in the league against a much fancied St Columba’s team from Dublin. Newbridge started strongly with Caoimhe Murphy very busy and effective in the her new position centre midfield. Louise Scully on the left mid linked up superbly with Roisin Crowe ahead of her. Emma O’Neill was solid throughout as sweeper.  The 3 goals were all scored from well rehearsed short corners. The first came in the opening half was finished off by Caoimhe O’Boyle after it was initially cleared. The other two came in the 2nd half after a reverse pass from Caoimhe O’Boyle back to Laura Hannon who dispatched it with ease. The last was the pick of the goals from Louise Scully who buried it from the top on the circle into the bottom left corner. An excellent team performance from all the players. Well done.

Congratulations to the two College teams who were two of only six teams out of 32 that qualified for the jump off round at the latest Interschools’ Show Jumping League held in Mullingar on Sunday 23rd October.  They finished in 4th and 5th place overall.  The team members were Alyssa O'Neill, Emma O'Callaghan, Charlotte Quinn and Karen Casey (4th) and Maedhbh Brassil, Megan Flanagan, Aoife Murphy and Hannah Sutton (5th).  Congratulations also to Alannah Murphy and Nessa Briody who jumped a double clear round and to Alyssa who was 2nd in the individual competition.

Newbridge College Newbridge, Co. Kildare, Republic of Ireland Tel: +353 45 487200 Fax: +353 45 487234 Email: info@newbridge-college.ie