You are here > Home > News > News
04 October 2010

Sports Roundup October 4

The Seniors travelled to Kenilworth Road to play St. Mary’s on Wednesday for their final friendly before the League Campaign.

There was little to write home about in a disjointed performance in the first half, conceding two very soft tries and a penalty in front of the posts, St. Mary’s led 17-0 at the break. However the second half was much improved with Newbridge dominating territory and possession. Mary’s showed their clinical side by converting a try scoring opportunity with their only foray into Newbridge’s 22. Newbridge spurned three very good chances before Ben O’Connor finally scored in the corner with ten to go and it was very well converted by Peter Osbourne. Best for the Bridge on the day were William O Brien, James Connolly and Colin Grant in the pack and Peter Osbourne, Ben O Connor and Cathal Murtagh in the Backs. 
Senior seconds took on St. Mary’s away from home last Wednesday. It was a very physical encounter with both sides very evenly matched. With a half time score of 13 – 15 to St. Mary’s it was all to play for in the second half. However it was injuries that was the eventual deciding factor as Newbridge lost four key players, two to serious leg injuries. St. Mary’s ended up running out 37 – 13 winners in a blitzing last 10 minutes. Players that really stood out of the pack were Conor Murphy, Conor Sheridan and Eoin Dempsey while Graham Burns, Ross Buckley and Ruairi Kehoe – Clarke were immense in the backs.

On Wednesday the Transition Years finally got to take to the field for a game.  After a disjointed return with only a few training sessions as a full squad and a number of friendly games cancelled the TYs started with a league fixture against Belvedere College.  The first 10 minutes saw the College struggle to shake the summer break from their system.  They absorbed some early pressure from Belvedere and defended their try line well.  On 12 minutes Belvo were awarded a penalty some 40 metres out which they elected to kick for points.  This fell short and was cleared well by the College.  With this release of pressure came a more focused attack from the College.  From a solid College scrum the ball came to Ivan Briody who broke a couple of tackles to open the scoring on 17 minutes.  Patrick Cross converted to make it 7-0 to the College.  Now putting some good phases together, the College only had to wait three more minutes for their next score.  From a Belvo scrum in their 22 Oisin McKnight broke from the scrum to block a clearance kick.  In the scramble that followed the ball was kicked to Paul Buckley who zig-zagged his way to the try line.  A great conversion from Cross pushed the College to 14-0 with 20 minutes gone.  With confidence high Cross went on the attack from a lineout.  He offloaded to Jack Coghlan Murray who, after making some good yardage, popped to Patrick O’Neill.  O’Neill was dragged down only metres from the line but luckily for the College Richard Dalton was in close attendance to crash over.  Cross again converted to make it 21-0 with 24 minutes on the clock.  Further solid play saw the College spend much of the remainder of the half in the Belvo half.  They were awarded a penalty following a break by Briody with Buckley and Dalton in support.  Cross stepped up to put the College on 24.  As the half drew to a close Belvo made one final push and were rewarded with a try on 35 minutes following some good forward play.  As this was converted the halftime score was 24-7.

A transformed Belvedere College came out in the second half and from the off heaped pressure on the College.  The College, despite varied attempts, couldn’t get out of their half.  Good play from the Dublin side combined with some unforced errors saw Belvo get a solid foothold in the game.  They were rewarded for all their pressure with a try on 43 minutes.  The conversion was missed so the score read 24-12.  Belvo were to come close on 51 minutes but although the winger crossed the line he had also put a foot in touch just 2 metres earlier.  The lineout was claimed by the College, the resulting maul driven to the 22 and cleared down the pitch.  This lifted the College and some great handling and support play saw Coghlan Murray come within metres of the line but unfortunately he couldn’t get over it.  Belvo took this as a warning and put themselves right back into the game with a try and conversion on 61 minutes to make it 24-19.  Both sides could see the win in their sights however defeat loomed large too.  A final push from Belvo saw them spend the last few minutes of the game in the College 22.  After being held up going over the line, Belvo crossed to touch down just 5 phases later.  The conversion was followed by a loud whistle from the referee, the end of the game, joy for the visitors and disbelief for the College.  The game finished 24-26 to Belvedere College.  Notable mentions must also go to Brian Hayden, Danny O’Mahony and James Kearns.

The Inter As faced their trickiest assignment of the season to date as we entertained St Mary's on a beautiful afternoon last Wednesday. Mary's started very impressively and good work from their strong pack combined with some slick play at half back took them into a 12-0 lead. We came back into the game when Aubrey O'Mahoney intercepted a loose pass in midfield and raced 60 metres to score before adding the conversion himself. However Mary's reasserted their dominance with another try before half time to take a 19-7 lead into the break. The Newbridge performance improved greatly in the second half and a number of surging runs from Mike Doyle and Oisin Kelly gave us a great platform to attack from. Unfortunately we could not capitalise on the chances we created as the final try scoring pass failed to go to hand on a number of occasions. A close range try by Aubrey O'Mahoney in the dying minutes raised hopes slightly but ultimately it proved to be too little too late. Final score Newbridge 14 - St Mary's 19

The Inter B’s played a physical and close encounter against St. Marys on Wednesday. In the first half, Newbridge had a lot of possession but couldn’t cross the whitewash and just before half time, conceded a try under the posts. St. Mary’s converted the try to leave the half time score at 7 nil to the visiting side. However, the heads didn’t drop for the Newbridge players and after the break Eoin Leavy rallied the pack and got some good go forward ball. It didn’t pay off fully until 10 mins before the end when Jamie Ferris got a try under the posts. With the try converted and the sides level the teams played out a tense final few minutes but at the end of the day, the coaches of both teams agreed that a draw was a fair result. Everyone contributed on the day but some players that stood out for Newbridge were Shane O’ Brien, Luke Menton, Shea Ryan and Jack Murphy.

Well done to the Ellers on winning the Gonzaga Blitz. There were 24 matches played and the Ellers won 12, lost 9 and there were 3 draws.

Other results: Junior A 32 Gonzaga 5; Junior B 56 Gonzaga 5;

Newbridge College Minor A hockey team kicked off their league campaign against St. Columbus on the show pitch in Three Rock Rovers in Rathfarnham. It was a slow and cautious start from both teams, however St Columbus settled the quickest. St Columbus showed plenty of skill and composure on the ball, were excellent at linking up with each other at pace and were duly rewarded for their efforts with a 2-0 lead at the interval. However a different Newbridge side emerged in the 2nd half. Sarah Henry moved into the centre of midfield, won a lot of 50/50 ball and started to cleverly distribute it about the pitch which change the shape and flow of the game. Nicola Dowling was a now a constant treat up front and finished off a good move from close range to narrow the deficit to one. Our defensive partnership of Sarah Kearin and Eleanor Younge which was beginning to look very solid, unfortunately couldn’t do much about Columbus 3rd. A fine strike from the edge of the circle. Newbridge quickly responded with a superbly taken short corner hammered home by Nicola Dowling. In the next 5 minutes Nicola with a small bit of extra composure could have had another 2 goals after being brilliantly set up by some fine build up play from Claire Healion and Molly Murphy. Newbridge were unlucky not to get a draw, but their coach Mr. Falvey was delighted to take so many positives out of an engaging and exciting 2nd half performance. Onwards and upwards for this promising young side.

On Wednesday 29th Sept the Minor C girls played against a strong Mount Anville side.  Newbridge were unlucky to miss goal chances in the first half and were 2-0 down at half time.  The girls played well as a team and were unlucky not to have scored. Newbridge College 0 Mount Anville 4.  Team: R Scully, O Higgins, M Gilespie, A Murphy, K Mc Donald, G Farrell, A Byrne, S Dunne, B Nugent, C O’Beirne, M O’Shaughnessy, N Scully, F Fahy and R Rowland

Other result: Junior A v Rathdown 1-1

Seven College teams took part in the opening Cross Country event of the season - the Three Counties League - for schools from Kildare, Laois, and Carlow.

Led home by Caoimhe Murphy in 6th place, and followed immediately by Roisin Crowe in 7th, the Minor Girls A team placed well with the pair backed up by Ciara Kiely in 10th and Sarah Bannahan 11th. The B squad played their part to perfection, pushing the front runners hard with Caoimhe O'Boyle 11th, Emma O'Neill13th, Louise Scully 20th, and Emma Carey 29th, all to the front of the huge field.

Joint performance of the day for College came from Claire Healion (Junior Girls) finishing an excellent second, and leading in Hannah Quinn 9th, Katie Berney 13th, and Keri Dwyer 17th to position the A team well. The B team also scored well with Hayley Bannahan 21st, Hannah Sutton 25th, Brid Conlon 27th, and Ainee D'Alton 30th all in the top half of the large field - the team finishing in front of many other schools' A teams.

Time for the Boys to take the field then with Mark Galligan leading home the Junior Boys team in front of a rapidly improving Charlie Dardis (10th), Cian Crowe (16th), and Aidan Nolan (19th).

Emulating Clare the Intermediate Girls leader, Amy Downes, stormed home in second place closely supported by Aisling Wier (7th), Katelyn McDonnell (9th), and Victoria O,Brien (14th) - while the Intermediate Boys also had two in the top 10, Niall Delahunt (4th), and Barry Finan (7th). These two good athletes were ably supported by Peter Higgins (23rd) and Jack Hickey (30th).

Running alone in the Senior Boys, Eoin Murphy ran a good race to finish 6th. Eoin's main focus this season will be on the shorter track distances, and he will be particularly pleased with his finishing kick which relegated a number of the opposition in the run to the line.

The following are the team results from the League Race on Tuesday – Junior Boys (U.15) – 2nd, Inter Boys (U.17) – 4th, Minor girls A Team – 2nd and B team (U.14) – 2nd in Division Two, Junior Girls(U.15) – 1st and Inter Girls (U.17)– 2nd. Well done to all involved

Hard luck to our Senior Boys Soccer team who lost their Leinster Cup match 4 1 to the P.B.S. boys.

Newbridge College Newbridge, Co. Kildare, Republic of Ireland Tel: +353 45 487200 Fax: +353 45 487234 Email: info@newbridge-college.ie