You are here > Home > News > News
15 December 2008

Sports Update 15th December

The Transitions Years travelled to Castleknock on Wednesday to finally play their league semifinal (cancelled the week before due to frost). 

The game started with Castleknock, the physically bigger of the teams, making early ground with good use of the boot by their out-half.  The College, however, ably defended their try line and gradually worked their way into the game.  With the College began to gain the upper hand, Castleknock once again booted the ball to the corner and secured a lineout at which they gave up the ball with a crooked throw.  From the resulting scrum, the ball shot out on the College side stopping just short of the try line.  It  appeared as though Peter Osborne, who smothered the ball, then carried it over the College line for a five-metre scrum.  This was not seen by the referee and the ball somehow apperared on the Castleknock side of the ruck.  As this was a metre over the line, a hand on the ball was all it took for them to score.  With the conversion scored on 28 minutes, the score was 7-0.  This, however, only drove the College on and from the re-start forced an error from Castleknock.  Peter Osborne converted the resulting penalty from 35 metres to make it 7-3 with 29 minutes played.  This is how it stayed until half-time.
With Castleknock missing an early second-half penalty, the College lifted their game to the next level and gave an example of some excellent forward pick-and-drive and some very intelligent back play.  However, this was matched with some great defense from the home side.  Attacking for ten, almost unbroken, minutes the College were finally rewarded somewhat with a penalty.  This was ably converted by Osborne.  The College continued their pressure play and with two minutes to go were awarded another penalty, this time from a more difficult position.  A fine attempt but the ball drifted inches the wrong side of the upright.  Still attacking, Osborne blocked a box-kick from the Castleknock scrum-half just metres from the Castleknock line.  As Eoin Dempsey picked up the ball and touched down, the joy of the travelling support and the team turned to horror as the referee had, correctly, seen Dempsey was inches ahead of Osborne when the block was made and thus offside.  As the resulting penalty was kicked over the sideline the final whistle brought joy to Castleknock, disappointment and thoughts of what might have been to the College.  It would be unfair to single any one player out of this performance.  It was a great team effort which sadly didnít get the reward it deserved.

With Clongowes Junior A team otherwise engaged we fielded a B and C selection against our Kildare rivals last Wednesday.  With no less than fourteen positional changes to the last time out, and eleven players rested the game gave the fringe players a chance to shine.  Conditions were not conducive to expansive rugby but both teams tried their utmost to perform.  Graham Burns and David Doyle were the players to shine in what was an entertaining game.  Unbelievably with both teams having opportunities, neither side managed to score leaving the final score 0:0.  In the C game, both sides were also evenly matched and we ran out winners by 12 points to 10.

Other Results: Under-16 A 6 Castleknock 7; Inter A 20 Castleknock A 7; Inter B 21 Castleknock B 36; Inter C 10 Castleknock 27; Eller B 17 St.Patís Navan A 27; Eller C 17 St.Patís Navan B 35; Eller D 21 St.Patís Navan C 12.

Senior/Junior Cup Draws.
The draws for both the Senior and Junior Cups took place last night. The Seniors play Clongowes in the 1st round on Wednesday 28th January in Naas.  The Juniors play a Qualifier team from the Fr.Godfrey competition in the 1st round on Monday 2nd February in either Tullow or Coolmine.
Hard luck to our Senior Boys team who came so close to winning our first title.  They lost by a single goal to Naas CBS in the final of the Midlands League Division 1.  Captain Rory Bracken led his charges admirably throughout the campaign and can be very proud of their showing in the final.  It looked as though the game was heading for extra time until our opponents striker hit the net in the final minute.  Well played to all.

Congratulations to the Cadet Basketball team on winning the Regional Final yesterday against St Leoís.The final score was 42- 36. Congratulations to their coach Ms Osborne on this fine achievement.

Congratulations to Niall Delahunt on coming 5th in the All Ireland 1200m at the weekend. The club team won gold!! Well done!!

Newbridge College Newbridge, Co. Kildare, Republic of Ireland Tel: +353 45 487200 Fax: +353 45 487234 Email: info@newbridge-college.ie