HomeTest

2010/2011

Tuesday 10th May 2011
8pm – 9pm

AGENDA

Matters arising from Previous Minutes
 
Management & Planning
1. PSA achievements 2010/11 
2. PSA plans for 2011/12
3. PSA Meeting with BOG Reps re Sport
4. PSA Treasurers Report
5.  Principal Vacancy
6. Astro Turf

Curriculum

Communications
1. TY Year / Linked In

Learning & Teaching Support
1. John Sharry Talk

AOB
1. Debs Dance

MINUTES

Executive Officers: Caroline Finan (CF) Chairperson, Deirdre Duane (DD) Vice-Chairperson, Joan Kehoe (JK) Treasurer, Secretary Triona Hayes-Finn (THF) Adrienne Brady (AB) Kevin Cleary (KC)

Apologies
Martin Jordan

Attendance
Matt O’Shea (MOS), Acting Principal
Other attendees - as detailed in Attendance Sheet held by Secretary

Minutes of Previous Meeting
Uploaded on Newbridge College Websites

1. MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETING

a) Useful Resources
KC spoke with Brian Howard in relation to updating the NC Website with useful resources for parents/guardians.  This detail is also to be included in the end of year pack.
b) Astro Turf Fund Raising Committee
Eammon O’Toole took ownership of the list of names of those who agreed to be involved in forming an Astro Turf Fund Raising Committee.  EOT to advise PSA as to who has particular roles on this committee following its inaugural meeting.
c) 6th Year Mock Interviews
JK spoke to BH on having mock interviews for all 6th Year students.  To interview all 5th Year and 6th Year students were suggested by CF. This matter to be reviewed in September 2011.
d) John Sharry Talk – All Staff of NC were invited by THF to attend.
e) Representation to BOG
CF & JK represented PSA at BOG representation meeting and brought the beliefs and concerns of parents with them, such as. 1) Sport was very positive overall within the school.  2) Lack of facilities for those who do play Rugby Vs those who don’t 3) Lack of PE for 5th & 6th Years is a concern of Parents, Teachers & Students.  4) Lack of Tennis facilities was discussed – will this be a facility when the Astro Turf Pitch is built?  Will this surface be suitable what type of surface and will it be suitable to hold competitions on? 5) The success of the Junior Cup Team and reasons why were discussed along with the idea that the Senior Cup Team could possibly mirror the JCT ideas along with the support of the school.
This report is due prior to end of year and will be available on the NC Website. (refer MOS)

2 TREASURERS REPORT
Balance €10,080, with the following expected debits: €1,000 John Sharry/ €200 Group Texts / €4,500 Debs Bills.  Expected balance in Sept 2011 4k – 5k.

It was suggested that this balance should be put towards something that all students would benefit from.  A suggestion of an archival area in Library containing pupils projects.  MOS did not believe this was feasible.   Other suggestions to bring Past Pupils in to Motivate pupils.  How this money is spent / invested remains outstanding until the next meeting (JK).

3 MANAGEMENT AND PLANNING

PSA Achievements 2010/2011
o TY Work Experience – through Linked – In
o Minutes and Agenda items on Website
o John Sharry Talk
o PSA Reps met with BOG Reps

PSA Plans
Further development of working together with NC in the interest of the pupils.

NC Principal Vacancy

MOS advised the meeting that as per the recent mail sent to all parents/guardians that TB had retired and that the position had now been advertised.
 
B.O.G. / PSA Reps.  
2 parents will be required for October to represent PSA on the BOG.  PSA to arrange election (THF).


4. CURRICULUM

5. COMMUNICATIONS
Horse Show Committee has asked for list of volunteers for Horse Show in May 2011.  THF took names and passed on the details to Jackie O’Brien and Carol Doyle.

6.  LEARNING AND TEACHING

7. SUPPORT

Cufflilnks and Rings have been purchased for the Debs in September by the PSA.

8. AOB

A general discussion took place on fund raising and volunteering.  Support to the Kildare Down Syndrome Association was discussed and involvement with the Special Olympics also, this will be discussed again during the next school year.  Garda clearance is required for voluntary work with children and parents need to note that this can be a lengthy process

CF thanked MOS for his support to the PSA throughout the school year and for the hard work done by the PSA Committee and wished all parents/guardians/ staff and pupils a safe holiday.

Action Points

Outstanding:

EOT Roles and Committee to be agreed and the PSA to be advised.

New:

KC - NC Website with useful resources for parents/guardians.  This detail is also to be included in the end of year pack.

JK & BH 6th Year Mock Interviews to be reviewed in Sept

MOS/BOG Reps – BOG report on school and agreed priorities is due prior to end of year and will be available on the NC Website.
 
JK How the balance in Sept in the PSA bank account is spent / invested remains outstanding until the next meeting (JK).

PSA to arrange election of BOG (THF).

Tuesday 29th March 2011
8pm – 9pm

AGENDA

Matters Arising from previous minutes
Management & Planning
PSA Treasurers report
Astro Turf
Curriculum
Communications
Recent letter from Newbridge College seeking support
Use of Website for minutes
Learning & Teaching Support
Guest Speaker Night

MINUTES



Apologies

Kevin Cleary
Susan Healy

Attendance

Matt O’Shea (MOS), Acting Principal
Martin Jordan (MJ) & Margaret Armstrong (MA) Parents Rep. Board of Governors
Other attendees - as detailed in Attendance Sheet held by Secretary

Minutes of Previous Meeting

Uploaded on Newbridge College Website

1. MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETING

A) Astro Turf Fundraising Committee
JK made contact with those who had previously given their names for joining an Astro Turf Committee.  JK has now has the agreement of over 13 parents who will be involved in forming an Astro Turf Fund Raising Committee.  JK advised MOS and the meeting that some parents had been disappointed that their offer of their individual professional services relating to the actual planning of the Astro Turf had not been taken up. MOS advised that any parent who had offered to be part of the planning and who now wishes to be involved to please contact him. Eamonn O’Toole took ownership of the list of names in order to arrange the first meeting of the Astro Turf Fund Raising Committee.  Roles and Committee to be agreed and the PSA to be advised. (EOT)


B) Database – Work Experience
MOS advised that he had received some response from the Parents/Guardians in relation to support for putting their names forward for the Database – Work Experience.  MOS to advise Declan Corbett.

In the meantime, THF made contact with Ciaran Larkin (CL) who set up the Newbridge College Past Pupils Linked-In Site.  There are circa 160 Past Pupils members of this Site.  CL agreed to post a message on the site on behalf of the Parents School Association seeking support from the Past Pupils for work experience.  Some positive response received to-date.

C) Useful Links
KC has agreed to contact Brian Howard in relation to further developing useful links on the NC School website – matter carried over to next meeting

2. TREASURERS REPORT
JK confirmed the balance in the PSA bank account.  One parent suggested that any excess funds at the end of the year should go towards funding some of the optional-extras on the TY curriculum.  It was agreed that this would be put in place, once the invoices relating to the Debs Dance and in Sept were settled. 

3. MANAGEMENT & PLANNING
Astro Turf Update
MOS updated the meeting that following the discovery of the Public Sewer under the existing site, the drawings of the proposed Astro Turf Facilities are being adjusted accordingly.  The drawings are currently at a Pre-Planning Meeting stage.  MOS advised there would be some structural funds available to the school and currently there is circa euro80,000 in the Astro Turf Fund from previous fund raising.


4. CURRICULUM

Interviews
LCVP Interviews took place on March 8th.  CF and MOS thanked all those who had been involved to make the evening a success.  Some parents believed that it would be beneficial in the current climes for all sixth year students to be involved in an interview, prior to leaving school.  Being able to present themselves well for any part-time job or vacancy on a course would be advantageous. Some interview preparation is done in class.   JK agreed to speak with Brian Howard in relation to the interviews for the year 2011/12.

5. COMMUNICATIONS

1) Board of Governors
MOS advised that the Board of Governors will now issue a statement after each meeting which will be posted on the Newbridge College website. 

2) Recent Mail Shot
Some support was received for the Horse Show Committee as well as the Database following the recent mail shot from the school.  MOS has details.

3) Agenda Items
THF advised that the set Agenda items for the meetings are 1) Matters arising from previous minutes 2) Treasurers Report 3) Management & Planning 4) Curriculum,
5) Communications 6) Learning & Teaching and 7) Support.  These agenda items are in line with the topics reviewed under the Whole School Evaluation.  Having these topics now as set agenda items will help support the tracking of progress made through the PSA and help further develop communication for all.  Any Parent/Guardian/Board of Mgt Representative is welcome to raise issues under these agenda items. 

6.  LEARNING AND TEACHING

Transition Year
The concern voiced by parents to the PSA Committee members relating to the recent Transition Year meeting and the issue around work experience was raised by (AB).  AB advised that several parents were concerned that the Block Week vs. One day per week over a number of weeks, for work experience was not reconsidered in light of the concerns raised by parents.  Parents were also concerned that the explanation given to stay with the one day a week was not clear.  MOS advised that moving to Block Week work would be more expensive on the School; parents at the meeting gave their opinions and experiences of other Schools in relation to this matter.  MOS advised that there would be flexibility around facilitating those who secured Block Weeks for work experience and that this matter would be reviewed for the school year 2012/2013.

Concern was raised around the matter of the cost of optional extra curricular activities in TY.  MOS to give this feedback to Declan Corbett.


7. SUPPORT

Guest Speaker
JK advised that John Sharry would be the guest speaker on the evening of May 3rd in the college.  His topic for the evening will be Parenting of Teenagers.  JK clarified with MOS that all parents/guardians would be welcome to bring a friend along to the talk.  Support is sought for this evening as this night is being funded by the Parents School Association and for everyone’s benefit we need it to be a success.  Refreshments will be served after discussion.  So come along and bring a friend! THF to arrange an invitation to the Newbridge College Staff. 


8. AOB

1) Recent Achievements
On behalf of the PSA Council, CF congratulated Ms. O’Brien on the success of the Music Night held recently in the college and commiserations to the Junior Cup Team on its unlucky exit from the Junior Cup at semi-final stage.  Commiserations to the Senior Rugby Team on its defeat in the Vinny Murray Cup Final.  MOS advised that the girls had won the Dominican Tournament in Hockey.  Well done!

2) Board of Governors Visitation
MJ advised that both he and Eric Kavanagh would be visiting the school on April 8th to speak with the representatives of each sporting body within the school.  Any ideas or concerns he will willingly bring to the BOG attention.

One parent suggested that the college needed to give more support to other Sport other than rugby, MOS advised that this depends on the support and involvement of teachers.

CF clarified that the PSA would like to be represented at this Visitation and subsequently CF and JK met with the representatives.

Next Meeting
Tuesday May 10th
Don’t forget May 3rd – John Sharry!


Action Points

Outstanding:

KC has agreed to contact Brian Howard in relation to further developing useful links on the NC School website – matter carried over to next meeting

New:

EOT Roles and Committee to be agreed and the PSA to be advised.

JK agreed to speak with Brian Howard in relation to the 6th Year interviews for the year 2011/12

MOS agreed to review work experience / Block Week for the school year 2012/2013

MOS to give Parents feedback to Declan Corbett relating to the cost of optional extra curricular activities in TY.

THF to arrange an invitation – May 3rd – John Sharry to the Newbridge College Staff. 

CF and JK to represent PSA at BOG Visitation April 8th

 

 

Thursday 3rd February 2011
8pm – 9pm

 

AGENDA

 

Minutes of Previous Meeting
Matters Arising
Treasurers Report
Correspondence
New Agenda Items
Objectives for 2011
WSE Meeting
Useful Websites
Guest Speaker


MINUTES



Apologies
Adrienne Brady
Lesley Sutton
Margaret Cotter

Attendance
Matt O’Shea (MOS), Acting Principal
Martin Jordan (MJ) Parents Rep. Board of Governors
Other attendees - as detailed in Attendance Sheet held by Secretary

Minutes of Previous Meeting
Read by THF who also informed the meeting that going forward the Minutes would be posted on the Newbridge College website under Parent School Association in order to facilitate 1) better communication to all parents 2) Time saving exercise which would streamline the actual PSA meeting as there would not be a need to read the minutes.  Only the relevant action points would be dealt with.

Matters Arising
Astro Turf Update
MOS updated the meeting that the Dominican Community have given permission to have the Astro Turf facility built on a big portion of the back field.  MOS presented the plan to meeting and advised that Gabrielle McGinley is the architect who has been engaged by the school.  MOS hopes to hold a pre-planning meeting with Kildare Co Council to iron out any potential issues pre submission. The plan contains a)one standard full length pitch b) one three-quarter length pitch c) two training pitches.  A dedicated Fund-Raising committee will be required and an estimated budget devised.  MOS advised that The Horse Show Committee had given an additional euro 8,000 to the fund that week.  A number of parents had previously offered to lend their expertise on an Astro Turf Committee and these will be contacted by the PSA (JK) to see if they have an interest in forming a Fund Raising Committee.  A further update will be given at next meeting.  Anyone interested in joining/forming an Astro Turf Fund Raising Committee can contact MOS or PSA Secretary.

Database – Work Experience
PSA have suggested that a database of contact details of those available to provide some work experience would assist students to secure work experience during Transition Year.  THF has spoken with Declan Corbett on this who has agreed to assist with the project. THF proposed seeking help from all parents.  A discussion took place around how best this could be done and MOS advised that he was not keen to seek help via the use of email in cases where parents had already given their consent to be contacted via this format. MOS has subsequently included the Work Experience support in a mail shot to parents.   MOS confirmed that currently there was no Past Pupils Union. THF queried how the PSA/School could make contact with Past Pupils of Newbridge College.  MOS advised that the names could be sourced from the School Annuals.  THF had sourced from the web a listing of famous Past Pupils. JK and THF will do further work on seeking support for the Database.

Canteen
Following the last meeting, MOS confirmed that there are now 3 microwaves and 3 toasted sandwich makers in the canteen for use by the students. 

Treasurers Report
JK confirmed that the balance in the PSA bank account was currently euro10,201.88. An invoice had just been received from the School Office for euro38.50 for use of the School Texting facility.

Correspondence
Memo from State Examinations Commission - THF advised parents of a memo received in relation to the distribution of Leaving Certificate Art examinations - Leaving Certificate Art (practical components) and Junior Certificate Art, Craft, Design (Drawing Examination).  Details are available from the State Examinations Commission, Athlone.

Letter received from Muscular Dystrophy Ireland acknowledging receipt of euro510 donated by the pupils of Newbridge College following the in-house production and sale of CD in memory of David Tyrell-Dillon.  CF paid particular thanks to the Duanne Family for all their efforts and support in this project.

WSE
CF advised that a representative group from the PSA committee met with the WSE Inspectors.   MOS confirmed that the Inspectors were impressed with the fantastic relationship between students and teachers.  The full report which is expected around mid June will be published on Dept of Educations website.

Useful Websites
KC raised this issue in relation to the use of Websites as helpful resources for parents and students.  KC has agreed to contact Brian Howard in relation to further developing useful links on the NC School website.

Guest Speaker
JK advised that she was in contact with Dr John Sharry (established parenting expert, social worker and psychotherapist and columnist with Irish Times / speaker on John Murray Show, RTE Radio One) Subsequent to the meeting a date of May 3rd has been set for a talk to parents – on aspects of Positive Parenting.

Horse Show Committee
MOS has been asked by the current Horse Show Committee to seek support from parents for the Horse Show Committee as 3 of the current committee will be retiring after the show in May 2011.  (MOS has subsequently included this in his recent mail shot)

Congratulations!
On behalf of the PSA Council, CF congratulated the Junior Cup Team on their current success and commiserated with the Senior Cup Team following the recent defeat to Blackrock College. 

MOS congratulated the recent success of two students (sister and brother!) on their success in the Young Scientist Competition.  Roisin Flynn won the Intermediary category with her project on privacy issues on social network sites.  Roisin also received an award from the Irish Domain Group.  While Rory Flynn was 3rd in the Technology Section and he received a Com Reg award for his project.

Waiting Area
One parent queried if it was possible to have a designated indoor area for pupils to wait for their lift on their return from matches.  MOS confirmed that students who needed to wait for a lift were always welcome to wait indoors in the social area.

Thanks
CF thanked John Grant (who was present) for his contribution to the PSA in his role as secretary.

Next Meeting
Please check Newbridge College Website


Action Points

JK to progress making contact with those who had previously given their names for joining an Astro Turf Committee to see if they were interested in forming an Astro Turf Fund Raising Committee

JK and THF will do further work on seeking support for the Database.

KC has agreed to contact Brian Howard in relation to further developing useful links on the NC School website

Executive Officers: Caroline Finan (CF) Chairperson, Deirdre Duane (DD) Vice-Chairperson, Joan Kehoe Clarke (JKC) Treasurer, Secretary Triona Hayes-Finn (THF) Kevin Cleary (KC) Adrienne Brady (AB) Executive Officers: Caroline Finan (CF) Chairperson, Deirdre Duane (DD) Vice-Chairperson, Joan Kehoe (JK) Treasurer, Secretary Triona Hayes-Finn (THF) Adrienne Brady (AB)
Newbridge College Newbridge, Co. Kildare, Republic of Ireland Tel: +353 45 487200 Fax: +353 45 487234 Email: info@newbridge-college.ie